Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trail Gear Bumper and Aftermarket Skids

Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Trail Gear Bumper and Aftermarket Skids

Those of you running a trail gear front bumper are you running an aftermarket skid? What brand are you running? Any troubles getting it to bolt up with the way the skid mounts to the bumper?

I tried searching about using aftermarket skids with the trail gear front bumper but I couldn't find what I was looking for and the ones I've seen/can recall have either stock or custom made ones.

Seeing that the stock skid bolts up okay I would think I could assume any aftermarket skid would bolt up okay but I don't don't want to make that assumption and be wrong and be out $300+
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have a TG bumper, but if its compatible w/ stock skids then I would be confident in saying that it will work fine with any aftermarket skids that are designed to mount to the OEM points.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I dont have a TG bumper, but if its compatible w/ stock skids then I would be confident in saying that it will work fine with any aftermarket skids that are designed to mount to the OEM points.
That's what I was thinking until I saw a thread a while back where an aftermarket skid wouldn't work with the trail gear bumper or something. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS08 View Post
While yes, your stock skid will mount to the tg bumper, the mounting location is not the same as stock. The tg install removes the frame exstention to which the skid mounts and replaces it with tg's bolt in x-member. The mounting location on th tg is about an inch lower than stock. The reason you see the design change is because the first design on the tg bumper won't mount to the stock location because it contacts the radiator.
The quote is from post #106 from this thread. There is some more talk about it another page back as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Thats interesting. The best thing I think is to find people who are using skids with a TG bumper, or contact the maker of the skids and inquire about any issues that they have heard between different bumpers.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats interesting. The best thing I think is to find people who are using skids with a TG bumper, or contact the maker of the skids and inquire about any issues that they have heard between different bumpers.
I tried searching for build threads of people with trail gear bumpers on their truck and they either had the stock skid still or a custom built skid. I'll probably look some more though. I was looking at picking up one of the skids from this group buy and it has not been tested with a trail gear bumper so I'm stuck haha.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Looked through this thread and a few were running bud built skids. The rest either had stock, no skid or were sased
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do have a TG bumper and I agree. I think any aftermarket skid that is designed to bolt to the OE mounting points, will work. Unfortunately, I made my own skid plates so I can't confirm this for you. :\

Might want to drop a line Jace's Panda Bear Taco Build and ask him... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...nda-build.html He's running Bud Builts with his TG bumper. A few more truck's that come to mind that also run budbuilts/TG are Safety Dang and jdcmq.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
I do have a TG bumper and I agree. I think any aftermarket skid that is designed to bolt to the OE mounting points, will work. Unfortunately, I made my own skid plates so I can't confirm this for you. :\

Might want to drop a line Jace's Panda Bear Taco Build and ask him... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...nda-build.html He's running Bud Builts with his TG bumper. A few more truck's that come to mind that also run budbuilts/TG are Safety Dang and jdcmq.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I'm fearful of the skid not fitting after receiving it.

I'll send Jace a PM and see what he says about them mounting up.

I think the thread that had me questioning this may have been a fluke or something for most aftermarket skids plates. I'll keep searching and post in here anything else I find out for other people running Trail Gear front bumpers.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
BudBuilts and SkidRow's should fit because they use stock front mounting. TG bumper works with stock skids (like others have said) so you'll be good with any skids that work with stock mounting location.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
BudBuilts and SkidRow's should fit because they use stock front mounting. TG bumper works with stock skids (like others have said) so you'll be good with any skids that work with stock mounting location.
Okay, thank! I was worried after seeing the thread a I posted a few posts back. Looks like I was worrying about nothing haha