Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Did my S/C die?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Did my S/C die?

So last night, I was driving home on the freeway about 68 mph with the cruise on. It was probably running around 2800 rpm. Out of nowhere, the rpm spiked to close to 5500 before going back to a normal rpm range. I noticed that after that, almost immediately under acceleration, it seemed to shudder. I checked the boost gauge, and it wouldn't go past 10 on the vacuum side. I can no longer hear the whine of the S/C either. I was able to drive the truck the approximately
4 miles home after the incident, and it started fine this morning, though I didn't drive it. I did however leave it in neutral and gave it a bit of gas, and the same thing, it won't boost or go past about 2400 rpm without shuddering like it air starved. Any ideas on what this could be and what it might cost to repair? I have the original intake manifold I got from the second owner (I'm the third), so how difficult of a job is it to swap the S/C out?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
start easy, is the belt on?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
DAMOS is on a distinguished road

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
Its not a bad job. switching the alternator belt is the worse part. make sure you get the hoses hooked up right. Install instructions are handy. Pvc valve hose is the only hidden one though. Ive done it a few times and I am fat and lazy

Take some good pics before you dig in
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to check the belt when I get home. So my primary concern is that I didn't damage the engine by running it like I did. Will I need new parts like a new intake manifold gasket?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #5

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
if you are switching out your sc you will need an alternator belt. You can reuse your intake manifold gasket just make sure it's clean. maybe buy a new one when you put the sc back on
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #6

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
You will need to make sure you have the correct bolts to re install the stock intake. I think its only 2 different bolts you need for reinstall.
take the sc belt off and spin the sc by hand
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I think the RMP spike was the belt comming off.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I think the RMP spike was the belt comming off.
that was my first thought. those belts are under a lot of stress. theyre recommended to change every 10k right?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

DAMOS's Tacoma Gallery
coupler could have failed in the snout
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Any update OP?