1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crazy that my engine won't run.. ideas?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ADHDYota, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    Some Stuff :)
    OK So, bit of a story.

540,000km on a 3.4L 1998 Taco 4x4 in near mint shape. All servicing always done.
    I did the timing, replaced EVERYTHING, pump, idlers, seals, tensioners, the works.
    Afterwards before putting anything back on, I ran it, it ran perfect. SO SMOOTH.

I put it ALL back together, rad, belts etc... and it wouldnt run. Just cranked over and over and over. It won't catch! The starter is turning the motor fine, its trying, but just consistent engine cranking with no catching.

Timing was one tooth off, so redid the belt.. same result.

Checked spark, and fuel.. both confirmed.
    Compression tested the 3 easy to access cylinders with 5 seconds of crank and got about 145psi across all three... consistent is good right?

I added a 2/0 ground to the frame and a #2 ground to the block.. both direct to brand new battery terminal... positive terminal also brand new.

I cannot find ANYTHING to keep it from running. There is NO noise when turning the motor by hand on a ratched from the cams... it feels like good compression. There are no vacuum lines or electrical connections I can find missing.

The plugs and wires are brand new and the engine ran fine with them installed before doing the rest of this work.

The air intake has been put back on normally.

Why on earth isn't it catching?

2. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    I thought CRAP i've bent my valves or something with the timing being out, but if i had, the engine would still have started and ran like crap... hell even with timing off a bit the motor shouldn't tank.. it's non interference...
    it'd run badly but still run.

it sounds like it should be some simple thing like a cam position sensor (which i never unplugged, just unbolted from the block to get the backplate off and replace the cam seals) or no ground... which i'm pretty sure I more than fixed... or the MAF..... which was FINE... and then suddenly?

3. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    banditstpk

banditstpk Pabst knows best

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    buckeye arizona
    Vehicle:
    00 3.4L PreRunner TRD SR5 Xtracab
    deck plate, led lights interior, center hubs painted black,
    buy a newish block add everything you replaced on this block and let it run for 300k more miles :D

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Fuel, spark, and compression.

You have the spark and compression - what about fuel? Is it getting to the injectors?

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Are you sure your on no#1 ? Anything get rotated whilst belt was off ?? Kinda sounds like it..

6. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    yes im getting fuel, the plugs are wet with gas when u pull them for compression testing....

not sure what you mean by on no#1... all the timing is perfectly set at TDC now, all three gears.

I looked into a new remanufactured motor.. $5,000+. rebuilds on this engine cost $3,000+. Not worth it, I'd sooner buy a new truck.

it should be something stupid.... but i cant find anything at all....

7. Apr 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    What I mean is that maybe you're 180 degrees out , meaning you've got gas/spark/compression all the factors in place to run except one thing...even tho' you've set everything to specs. you're out of sync. Pull no.#1 plug out bring it up to TDC & re config. your firing order

8. Apr 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The 3.4 is a non-interference engine, so you most likely did not bend any valves. I just finished redoing a 3.4 in a 99 Tacoma that had a broken belt while going down the road. No damage to the valves. These engines however are VERY sensitive to valve timing. They will not run at all in many cases if you even have one tooth off.

What sounds unusual is that you said that you had it running smooth, then put it back together again and it is not starting. So I am going to go with the opinion that somewhere during the assembly process after you got it running, something messed up. If you think it may be a fuel issue, you can take a can of carb cleaner and spray a small shot into the intake behind the air filter, then crank the engine over to see if it fires. If it does, then you know it is fuel related, and can go from there.

I would not be surprised if you found something with your camshaft sensor being the issue. Spark is driven by the crankshaft sensor, and fuel is driven by the camshaft sensor. If during reassembly you bent a terminal on accident, or a wire got pinched, then no fuel will be injected.

9. Apr 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    camt10

camt10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 ext cab sr5 trd 4x4
    Check the teeth on crank shaft sprocket unsaid you changed seal maybe broke tooth

10. Apr 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    im not sure what the pulling of cylinder1 plug is supposed to do.. if i take the timing belt off again and rest to TDC with all the cams and crank independent, shouldnt that be ok? im not sure how it would even allow me to install the sprockets with one of them 180 out, all the steel on steel marks lined up.

is there a test for the cam sensor? maybe i installed it out of alignment slightly?

11. Apr 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The best thing to do for the cam sensor to test it is if you have a scan tool. That way you can look at the data and see what it says.

12. Apr 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Well its pretty old school & may not matter with this engine, so i guess dis regard...good luck

13. Apr 27, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    i need to track down a code reader yeah.

14. Nov 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    so the end result was i took it into mayfield toyota.. their head mechanic was working on it on his spare time on the used truck shop side.

They busted a bolt off inside the block, and blew the timing off a few times, busted an idler that was brand new... then gave up.

It sat there for four or five months then i had it towed back to my home shop...

thinking of ripping it all out and dropping in a 4.2L 1HD-FTE

Products Discussed in

To Top