Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Coolant leak?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Coolant leak?

When changing oil today I noticed a small chunk of dried coolant on my filter. Then looking above the filter I noticed this in the picture. What is leaking? Head gasket? The oil looked ok when drained.
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant leak?-image.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Also, the exhaust manifold connects about an inch or two away on the drivers side
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Bump
Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
nothing is leaking

if that is near the water pump they all have weep holes
so that if some garbage does work it's way under the
seal there is a place for coolant to expand into (the outside)
and push the garbage through

pump weep holes with spots are not considered a leak until
it really leaks and drips on the floor. that doesn't look like
you have a leak, looks like something dribbled and stopped
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to figure out if you have a coolent leak is running a pressure test on the system. Make sure you check all you're hoses and check the water pump they start to leak when they go bad.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Is a compression test something I can do or does a shop have to do it? Thanks guys
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
Is a compression test something I can do or does a shop have to do it? Thanks guys
If you know some one with a pump to use or if you want to buy one it is very easy to do just over pump it. The owners Manuel or the rad cap should tell you the PSI rating.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Zooriver is on a distinguished road
Zooriver's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's not the freeze plug right above it? Just had to replace mine.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
The freeze plug doesn't have any signs of a leak around it. I really don't want to sink $1000+ into a new head gasket
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you loosing fluid from your coolant reservoir regularly?

Has the water pump ever been changed? How many miles do you have on the truck?

I was loosing fluid for about a year until I noticed dried coolant. The gasket that seals the water pump to the block leaks.... I noticed mine leaking at 85K miles and changed the water pump. But like I said, it was leaking slightly (evaporating) for a year until I found where/how I was loosing fluid.

If you have a 3.4L....this might interest you:
http://www.lieblweb.com/waterpump.html
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you loosing fluid from your coolant reservoir regularly?

Has the water pump ever been changed? How many miles do you have on the truck?

I was loosing fluid for about a year until I noticed dried coolant. The gasket that seals the water pump to the block leaks.... I noticed mine leaking at 85K miles and changed the water pump. But like I said, it was leaking slightly (evaporating) for a year until I found where/how I was loosing fluid.

If you have a 3.4L....this might interest you:
http://www.lieblweb.com/waterpump.html
My reservoir looks to be normal. The water pump was changed along with timing belt at 103k and right now I'm at 171k.

When I posted this, I scraped off all of the dried coolant right above the oil filter. After 1,000 miles, I can see it seeping at little bit again. Where was yours leaking at? Did you have other symptoms? Man, this would be a huge relief if it wasn't head gasket. I'm near due for timing belt, water pump, etc so that would be routine maintenance anyways.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
My reservoir looks to be normal. The water pump was changed along with timing belt at 103k and right now I'm at 171k.

When I posted this, I scraped off all of the dried coolant right above the oil filter. After 1,000 miles, I can see it seeping at little bit again. Where was yours leaking at? Did you have other symptoms? Man, this would be a huge relief if it wasn't head gasket. I'm near due for timing belt, water pump, etc so that would be routine maintenance anyways.
Do you have a wider picture of the engine bay? It's hard to see where that is.... After looking at it again, looks like its coming out from between two metal surfaces. Doesn't look like a gradual drip from another location.

Have you checked your Oil recently? Does it look OK? Not milky....

My water pump leak didn't cause other symptoms. My reservoir tank had been loosing fluid every month for a year before I could see any visible signs of a leak (dripping on the ground). I just kept topping it off until I could figure it out. It was the gasket material that failed. The gasket material is around the entire water pump and depending on where it fails, will depend on where it'll seep/drip.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
The spot is tough to get pictures, it's a tight space. The location is basically a couple inches above the oil filter on the 04 drivers side. The oil looks fine, I checked yesterday. And you're right, it's where two metal surfaces connect. I'd hate to get a head gasket replaced if it were the water pump gone bad.