LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2003 Toyota Tacoma Tire spare gone

Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
JT1521 is on a distinguished road
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Toyota Tacoma Tire spare gone

Yeah. Today I was talking to my buddy. He has a 2002 Tacoma. He told me he had to get his frame replaced. So we went outside and checked my frame. When I was under there I noticed my spare tire was gone. I was baffled. I have no idea when it happened. I just got the recall for the Excessive Corrosion of the Spare Tire Carrier Lift Plate. I had all intentions of bringing that in to get repaired sometime this coming week. I know the tire was there the last time I got the Safety recall interim Notice when they said they were working on the issue. I can't believe it fell off without me knowing. I really hope it didn't cause an accident. I will be calling Toyota on monday. I just wanna know if anyone thinks I will get a free spare tire and a new Lift Plate? You can tell the plate is bent and corroded.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Wait. Are you saying it corroded so badly that the entire bracket assembly fell off with the tire attached to it? Or was the bracket still there, just the tire is missing? I wouldn't doubt if someone stole it.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Wait. Are you saying it corroded so badly that the entire bracket assembly fell off with the tire attached to it? Or was the bracket still there, just the tire is missing? I wouldn't doubt if someone stole it.
Nope. I am say the assembly is there but the plate that holds up the tire is corroded and bent so far that the tire must have fallen out.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I think it will be a stretch to get a new tire, but try your hardest. If they say they can't help you, say you want to talk to their manager, until you get to the CEO.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I think it will be a stretch to get a new tire, but try your hardest. If they say they can't help you, say you want to talk to their manager, until you get to the CEO.
I don't know why it would be a stretch to get a new tire. It's not my fault the Spare Tire Carrier Lift plate corroded to the point of the tire falling off. Plus it could have caused an accident and killed someone.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1521 View Post
I don't know why it would be a stretch to get a new tire. It's not my fault the Spare Tire Carrier Lift plate corroded to the point of the tire falling off. Plus it could have caused an accident and killed someone.
Once you got the "Notice" ..the ownership of spare became yours...SUCKS but unless you have a great service writer/manager it will be an uphill battle...

Mine fell off while leaving a workplace parking lot and almost got
"Cleared" by my cousins GMC....I did hear the noise but reaction time was more of "Oh-$hit" then look back ..

My "advice" ; Go in for your inspections and ASK what they can do for you...screaming and kicking just puts everyone into a BAD setting...
ALL of my re-calls have been done in such a way that EVERYONE walks away ...

Good luck and keep us updated...
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Once you got the "Notice" ..the ownership of spare became yours...SUCKS but unless you have a great service writer/manager it will be an uphill battle...

Mine fell off while leaving a workplace parking lot and almost got
"Cleared" by my cousins GMC....I did hear the noise but reaction time was more of "Oh-$hit" then look back ..

My "advice" ; Go in for your inspections and ASK what they can do for you...screaming and kicking just puts everyone into a BAD setting...
ALL of my re-calls have been done in such a way that EVERYONE walks away ...

Good luck and keep us updated...

good advice there ^^^^^

going in guns blazing just opens the door for return fire.

keep calm and things work better.....Dont EXPECT anything out of it, and u may get lucky....They may have a spare laying around after someone else upgraded their wheels.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing I can't call them today should I email them and let them know what happened or should I just wait and take it in tomorrow?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1521 View Post
Seeing I can't call them today should I email them and let them know what happened or should I just wait and take it in tomorrow?
If you already have a standing appointment,just bring it in and advise them of your concerns; this sets the stage for them to earn & keep your business PLUS help them with their own Toyotas CSR scores..

Having a good service writer/assistant service manager on your side can bring for everyone...Happy customers word of mouth can only bring rewards while pi$$ed off can wreak havoc...

Again, GOOD LUCK....
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a couple of pics so you can see how the plate is rusted and bent.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
How the hell could that thing fall off without you noticing? I think someone snagged it dude.

Regardless, that rust is insane.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
How the hell could that thing fall off without you noticing? I think someone snagged it dude.

Regardless, that rust is insane.
Well if your going 65mph and it drops straight down and your gone from under it in a flash. How would you notice it? Especially if it is night time. If it was daytime I would have thought I would have heard people behind me spinning out and beeping their horns etc. No clue when it came off.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
JT1521's Tacoma Gallery
Will someone with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with 16" rims tell me if the spare tire under the truck came with an alloy or steel rim. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with a steel wheel as a spare
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
What part of the country do you live ? Im shocked at the amount of rust in the pics.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
you so would have noticed if that came off when you were driving.

it would have bounced and hit your bumper
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
Steel wheel for the spare. It seems to me if the tire just "fell off" I would think there would be marks on the bracket that goes through the center of the wheel. I'd lower that metal bracket down, inspect it and snap some pictures. If the wheel did indeed fall off while driving I'd be counting my lucky stars that it didn't injure or kill someone.

That rust is insane. Is the rust eating away at your shock body too?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Odds are he would have noticed but theres a chance it could come off and he wouldn't feel or notice anything. Pothole, washboards maybe even in a parking lot. Think about the shit you see on the side of the road ,furniture ,ladders all kinds of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
you so would have noticed if that came off when you were driving.

it would have bounced and hit your bumper
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha.

no need to tell me. im a highway worker here in CA.

ive seen all kinds of shit.