1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light w/ burning smell

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mainmoe02, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    My check engine light just came on (p0420 OBDII code) on my 2001 tacoma. its a 3.4L v6. I've been smelling a burning smell as of the past week or so. It's a burning scent but can't tell where it's comming from. I don't see any oil leaks or any smoke.

As for the code it may be my Cat Converter or an 02 sensor?

From reading online I've also read that the reason the cat converter went out is because the motor is leaking oil internally and it's clogging the catalytic converter.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of issues?
    I'm hoping I don't have to spend Thousands to fix this.

I know when the Cats go bad they smell like "rotten eggs" but the smell I'm getting is burning smell.

Also, I've read that going with an aftermarket catalytic converter is a waste although its much cheaper. I've read I should go with an OEM catalytic converter but its way more $. Let me know what you think.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Have you done a visual inspection under your truck? I have had customers come in with a burning smell only to find out something got caught on their exhaust and melted on it. That would not result in a P0420 code however. I have found that a lot of P0420 codes are a result of a malfunctioning O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. It tends to be 50/50 between a bad sensor or a bad catalytic. Consider cleaning the sensor and retesting, or replacing the sensor and retesting.

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    ^this

I had this code come up on my truck. I didn't do anything and just cleared the code. It's been 8 months and it still hasn't come back. :pray:

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definently do a visual inspection. I'm gonna go try to clean the sensors now. The first one is easy to get to, the 2nd has something in its way. Do y'all happen to know pricing on the sensors? I guess I could look it up but wanted to see what others are paying.

Also, is there only one Catalytic converter? I looked under there and it looks like there are 2. When I looked the part up on Toyota.com they said the 3.4L only has one cat.

I just cleared the code. Hopefully it won't come back! But I still need to find out what that burning smell could be.

Thanks!

5. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    808DAKINE

808DAKINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Lahaina, Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Cold air, Sounds, lift, lights, exhaust and a canoe!
    I have this error code too. I wouldn't ignore it. I did smell that burning/rotten egg smell for a week, then it went away. Im now getting fluttering while accelerating, so I having the truck's converters inspected. Theres 2 converters on the 01, ended up ordering a flowmasters rear cat for $200. Ill most likely have to get the front one as well.

I thought this too until I started digging around the web.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?...talytic+Converter&subcategory2=&subcategory3=

Only reason why i picked up Flowmasters is because i just recently got the American thunder kit with a super 50. Sounds really nice I might add.
    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?...gory=Exhaust+Kits&subcategory2=&subcategory3=

Im not quite sure what labor will be, seeing you need to put the truck up on jacks and remove 5 bolts(3 connecting to the headers, and 2 to the rear exhause before the rear o2 sensor) and the top o2 sensor.

6. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    808DAKINE

808DAKINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Lahaina, Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Cold air, Sounds, lift, lights, exhaust and a canoe!
    It just dawned on me, I wonder if there is anyway a failed pvc valve can lead to problems with the catalytic converters. Maybe that could be the underlining cause to my converters failing. [​IMG]

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If a failed PCV valve was a problem, depending on HOW it failed, it would let more than the expected crankcase vapors into the intake, but you would most likely have a code that would involve either a MAF code, or a trim code.

Products Discussed in

To Top