Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Needle sweep

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
TimPall13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
TimPall13's Tacoma Gallery
Needle sweep

Hey guys was just wanting to know if anyone has modified their gauges to do the needle sweep on startup? If so please help me out with links or videos.
Thanks

Tim
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Do you just want to change the color or the entire needle?

I know you can change the color by removing the original coloring and painting it whatever color you please.

Haven't heard anyone changing the needle to a different style. Might mess with the calibration. But there-again, I have no idea on that one.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
peow130 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
peow130's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
Do you just want to change the color or the entire needle?

I know you can change the color by removing the original coloring and painting it whatever color you please.

Haven't heard anyone changing the needle to a different style. Might mess with the calibration. But there-again, I have no idea on that one.
No, he wants his tach and speedo to peg all the way right, then come back to zero before he starts.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
No, he wants his tach and speedo to peg all the way right, then come back to zero before he starts.
Yeah. Not dying to do just more of wanting to know if its been done and how hard. since not spend much money on my truck for a few months just trying to find a project that's unique.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
my bad!

Totally missed that! I read "Needle switch" not sweep. Derp.

I think you probably could figure out some way of doing it.

Easiest would be retroing gauges that already do it.

Cheapos like glowshift could work.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
peow130 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
peow130's Tacoma Gallery
I think it'd require you to re-flash the ECU and change the software to do that when the key is turned to on.

Since pretty much everything is electric in these trucks, it'd be difficult.

Perhaps see if you can get a wiring schematic for the audi, and find if theres a module that controls that. If theres some type of module that sends voltage to the tach and speedo at the on position, you might be able to pull this off.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
I think it'd require you to re-flash the ECU and change the software to do that when the key is turned to on.

Since pretty much everything is electric in these trucks, it'd be difficult.

Perhaps see if you can get a wiring schematic for the audi, and find if theres a module that controls that. If theres some type of module that sends voltage to the tach and speedo at the on position, you might be able to pull this off.
Yah I've read people do codes for the ECU but that was for audi and vw so ill have to look into it. Any other ideas for stuff to do to the truck? September is the month I'm doing a lot of big stuff so would like little projects till then.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Just a lil bump here but I'm going to try to figure out a way to program an arduino to preform the sweep as I'm working on programming one for a flash pattern for my lights and since it will already be in there why not tag on an extra function.

I'll keep you updated on what's going on and what I can find out. Potentially might be done with this project before September but that depends on school
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't 1st gen speedos mechanical?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #12

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
The speed the vehicle is travelling is dependent on the transmission output, which yes, is from a cable.

The physical gauges as far as I know are servos.

When you pull the gauges, if there are no physical rotating cables to the assembly then it is a digital input.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #13

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
That's why we can use the western digital speedo corrector
Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #15

vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
It is!

And thinking about it, if I've got free room, I could potentially use it to make a speedo programmer as well!

Anyone have a spare gauge cluster they want to send me to play with?