1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needle sweep

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TimPall13, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Hey guys was just wanting to know if anyone has modified their gauges to do the needle sweep on startup? If so please help me out with links or videos.
    Thanks

Tim

2. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    Do you just want to change the color or the entire needle?

I know you can change the color by removing the original coloring and painting it whatever color you please.

Haven't heard anyone changing the needle to a different style. Might mess with the calibration. But there-again, I have no idea on that one.

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    peow130

peow130 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Taco TRD w/ 2.5" Skyjacker lift and 33's
    2.5" Skyjacker Platinum
    No, he wants his tach and speedo to peg all the way right, then come back to zero before he starts.

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
  5. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  6. Apr 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Yeah. Not dying to do just more of wanting to know if its been done and how hard. since not spend much money on my truck for a few months just trying to find a project that's unique.

:notsure:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    my bad!

Totally missed that! I read "Needle switch" not sweep. Derp. :eek:

I think you probably could figure out some way of doing it.

Easiest would be retroing gauges that already do it.

Cheapos like glowshift could work.

8. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    peow130

peow130 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Taco TRD w/ 2.5" Skyjacker lift and 33's
    2.5" Skyjacker Platinum
    I think it'd require you to re-flash the ECU and change the software to do that when the key is turned to on.

Since pretty much everything is electric in these trucks, it'd be difficult.

Perhaps see if you can get a wiring schematic for the audi, and find if theres a module that controls that. If theres some type of module that sends voltage to the tach and speedo at the on position, you might be able to pull this off.

9. Apr 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yah I've read people do codes for the ECU but that was for audi and vw so ill have to look into it. Any other ideas for stuff to do to the truck? September is the month I'm doing a lot of big stuff so would like little projects till then.

10. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Just a lil bump here but I'm going to try to figure out a way to program an arduino to preform the sweep as I'm working on programming one for a flash pattern for my lights and since it will already be in there why not tag on an extra function.

I'll keep you updated on what's going on and what I can find out. Potentially might be done with this project before September but that depends on school :eek:

11. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Aren't 1st gen speedos mechanical?

12. Jun 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    The speed the vehicle is travelling is dependent on the transmission output, which yes, is from a cable.

The physical gauges as far as I know are servos.

When you pull the gauges, if there are no physical rotating cables to the assembly then it is a digital input.

13. Jun 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    That's why we can use the western digital speedo corrector ;)

14. Jun 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I have a 02 and didn't they change it to electrical on the 2001-2004 models?

15. Jun 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    It is!

And thinking about it, if I've got free room, I could potentially use it to make a speedo programmer as well!

Anyone have a spare gauge cluster they want to send me to play with? :D

16. Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    HA I wish I had one I could send you to mess with! heck I wish I had one for myself too! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top