1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

White exhaust on a cold start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Itisreallycold, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Itisreallycold

Itisreallycold [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Minnesnowta
    Vehicle:
    Ol' Rusty
    My 1995 3.4 v6 with 238xxx miles will have a high idle around 1200rpm when I start it up, and will slowly go down to 750 as it warms up. If I engage it into reverse or drive it will drop down to 1000/1100 rpm and still idle high well everything warms up. If it is a cold day the exhaust will be white, but I haven't noticed white exhaust with the warmer weather. When everything is warmed my truck runs like a watch. Would there be white exhaust on a warm day if it was a blown head gasket?
    I'll post some videos and compression test results soon. Other revelant things, I've recently cleaned maf/throttle body/plugs/air filter.

2. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Cold temp shows the moisture in the exhaust, like your breath.

Hot day not.

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup.
    Normal.

Head gasket would steam on every restart after sitting for a short period and would smell like coolant.
    Bad valve seals would smoke on every restart after sitting for more than a few hours, and would smell like oil.

The catalytic convertor seriously cools the exhaust and promotes heavy condensation. Every modern vehicle "smokes" on a cold morning until the cat "lights off" and gets up to operating temperature.

Products Discussed in

To Top