Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suggestions... help...

Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
Grouse's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions... help...

My 2002 Tacoma, 4 cyl, 4wd, 5 spd..... 276,000 still with original clutch...... I have a check engine light and it won't pass inspection until I get it looked at... it looks like a catalytic converter issue..... I also see it's running real rough out of no where.... essentially not driveable..... Question.... how much is it worth to spend on this..... it has a new frame (two years ago)..... I'm so attached to this truck but need to make decisions...... any ideas on a resell value with that mileage if I look for something newer..... thanks.....
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a miss. Get the code read for free at vatozone and see whats wrong.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
We can suggest anything until you get the code read. take it to a parts store and get it read for free.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Grouse's Tacoma Gallery
It read misfire.... #2, swapped out coils and replaced "bad" coil with no improvement. I also had a badly worn wire yellow/green, third from left (of four) that broke completely.... might try to splice. Wish I knew how to post a photo here... I'll try.... any suggestions? Thanks to all!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Grouse's Tacoma Gallery

I spliced the other wire last year.... this one was barely holding on and leaves little room to splice. Anyone familiar with these or if this could be part of the problem? I'm going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow. The truck was tuned up a couple of years ago and they didn't replace a gasket and after I hit a puddle I found a misfire from water intrusion... replace plugs and it ran ok then.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse View Post

I spliced the other wire last year.... this one was barely holding on and leaves little room to splice. Anyone familiar with these or if this could be part of the problem? I'm going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow. The truck was tuned up a couple of years ago and they didn't replace a gasket and after I hit a puddle I found a misfire from water intrusion... replace plugs and it ran ok then.
That looks like the harness for your MAF sensor. That broken wire could be the culprit to your misfire. I would definitely get that fix, reset the computer, and see how it goes.