Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Eibach Coils, Need shocks

Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Eibach Coils, Need shocks

alright guys, i finally bought my eibach coils and 2" aal from toytec, i had planned on purchasing the bilstein 5100's from DSM but my dad has been questioning why i HAVE to buy the bilsteins for this lift, why cant i use my stock bilstein shocks with some shock extenders, or why cant i purchase some other kind of shocks to go on these coils, i dont know what to tell him, i havent really seen any other kind of shock used with these coils. and i have only seen one post that ask a question about other kinds of shocks being used. i need some input on all this, anything is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
technically yes you can put them on other shocks, but those 5100s and eibachs are suppose to give you the best ride together. like they say dont put on ome springs on anything other then ome shocks, spring rate and shock valving are designed a certain way for a reason. all imo, I'm no expert
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Considering you have an 02 its probably best that you go ahead and replace the shocks. The 5100's are more aggressively valved for more offroad use. I'm running Eibach/5100 combo and I love it. Plus why put shock extenders with brand new lift coils, that's like putting ketchup on steak!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and why a shock extender?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
its in the OP
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

my dad ask why i couldnt use my stock bilsteins, the yellow ones, and stick a shock extender on them. cause the coils say they need a longer shock than stock. i dont wanna do that, my shocks have 100,000 miles on them. so i know they gotta be wore out. my dad is just out for saving money so he wants to make sure of everything to make sure there isnt a better deal somewhere for shocks that may work better. i dont know im just trying to get some input.

I appreciate the input too guys.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
The old saying goes, "do it right the first time and only cry once"

No problem man
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
CBR1000RR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CBR1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
Bilsteins are priced pretty cheap the front shocks are only about 160 bucks for the pair on wheelers offroad....
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
my dad ask why i couldnt use my stock bilsteins, the yellow ones, and stick a shock extender on them. cause the coils say they need a longer shock than stock. i dont wanna do that, my shocks have 100,000 miles on them. so i know they gotta be wore out. my dad is just out for saving money so he wants to make sure of everything to make sure there isnt a better deal somewhere for shocks that may work better. i dont know im just trying to get some input.

can you explain how to make a shock longer to fit longer springs? I'm lost
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Say the shock is uncompressed, it's a longer piece that screws to the end to give the shock a longer shaft that can be compressed. It's a bad idea either way. Just something he mentioned
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #11

ok.....
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
No you can not use the stock shock. Might fit..but not a good idea.

Eibachs are made to go with 5100s and that's it. I believe you will actually damage your stock shocks due to the lift eibachs provide.

There is also the problem that eibachs are much longer then stock coils. So when you tried compressing the eibachs on to the stock shocks you would have to compress them so much that they would end up pre compressed. This would lead to over 4" of lift and that would mean your CVs would bind and break.

Get the 5100s. You need them
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

your father is obviously not a member! and you're very correct in your assumption, those shocks are DONE-ZO. you spent quite a little chunk of change on the coils, why sell yourself short on the shocks? your father may want to save money, but its that kind of frugal mindset that will put you right back here in a few months when you blow your stock shocks up. you're upgrading a truck, not a R/C car, so you're going to have to spend some good money to get the results you want. plus the Bilsteins are actually considered an inexpensive shock thats why pretty much everyone runs them
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

yea dad is relying on me, its "my truck" but he paid for it, but he doesnt do/hasnt done as much reading on here as i have cause the lift was the first thing that i started looking for. i know the right choice, i just want to have some other opinions to make sure. thanks guys. this is the first major thing im trying to buy on my own for the truck. i try to pay atleast half of everything or more, and my parents pay the other half and everything else has been mostly them.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
I can only speak from experience with my 2nd gen but 5100s/eibachs=amazing ride/handling.They are a great combo. The ride of 5100's alone is night and day compared to stockers. when i adding eibachs it made a huge difference.

You made a good choice in coils, and shocks are just as important. your be sorry if you cheap out on shocks. You will have to replace the cheaper shocks long before the 5100's.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea dad is relying on me, its "my truck" but he paid for it, but he doesnt do/hasnt done as much reading on here as i have cause the lift was the first thing that i started looking for. i know the right choice, i just want to have some other opinions to make sure. thanks guys. this is the first major thing im trying to buy on my own for the truck. i try to pay atleast half of everything or more, and my parents pay the other half and everything else has been mostly them.
+1
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #18
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've read , your dad seems like a smart guy, seems he's been good to you and wants you to be smart with (his) and later your money. I'm betting he's not done much mechanic work, thats where experience would tell him,,,BUY THE SHOCKS!!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
From what I've read , your dad seems like a smart guy, seems he's been good to you and wants you to be smart with (his) and later your money. I'm betting he's not done much mechanic work, thats where experience would tell him,,,BUY THE SHOCKS!!!!!

no its not that, he knows what hes doing, he just wants to make sure were getting the best deal. make sure we dont spend any extra money for no reason. cause money isnt something to throw around.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no its not that, he knows what hes doing, he just wants to make sure were getting the best deal. make sure we dont spend any extra money for no reason. cause money isnt something to throw around.
true, nothing to fritter away.

but BUY THE BILSTEINS.