Notices

Leaky steering rack

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
423 TACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Leaky steering rack

Well my truck has developed a pretty bad leak from the steering rack. My question is there a seal I can try to replace or does it need a whole new rack? Here's a picture. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky steering rack-image.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I'v got the same thing goin on but my leak is pretty small.

from what I'v read and heard from others on here replacing the rack is kinda the only way to go. Apparently a "stop leak" liquid does no good, and its only a matter of time before the thing is shot. I guess if you had the time and ability to rebuild it you could, but IIRC you cannot buy the seals on their own which is stupid if you ask me.. :/

I'm gonna put it off for a while cause I have sooo much other shit goin on in my life right now..

Interested to see the responses here though.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-04-TACOMA...1436ce&vxp=mtr
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
423 TACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks ill look into that. I have to add fluid every 2-3 days so it needs to be addressed soon, I kinda figured replacing the whole thing would be the best bet
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered a quality reman? Here in Colorado, we can get a CVJ reman rack (OEM spec rebuilds), with inner tie rod ends, for cheaper than just the ITREs by themselves.

http://www.cvjreman.com/RAP.php
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a reman. one. It is put back to OEM specs and comes with inner tierods. I also put new outter tierods also. I did reuse my new poly bushings in it though. I paid $265 and didn't have to send back my old rack. Got to keep it, may try to rebuild it myself one day. I installed it myself. Not to bad of a job, at least I have a covered carport with concrete. I hate working in the dirt, done that to many years.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
there are write ups on rebuilding the rack... changing seals etc...
but sourcing those parts will be a pita...
and some special tools may be needed.

I recommend replacing the rack...
and with the newer rebuild design that has the updated
rack guide assembly incorporated.

Pay the extra for the lifetime limited warranty...
and you'll never need purchase another.

^ but that don't mean you won't need another.
Lol
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
sethcooke is on a distinguished road
sethcooke's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same problem. i was going through a bottle of power steering fluid a day but i dropped some lucas stop leak in it and it hasnt leaked in at least 4 months, so if i was you id spend the 20 bucks it cost and get yourself some. Dont get any other brand but lucas, all the other stuff sucks
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Wrote this response earlier this week on a different post...

Rackdoctor
Life time warranty....
http://www.rackdoctor.net/
And they sell those poly bushings.

Way better than used, Toyota or an auto store....they only offer LIMITED lifetime.

As for the leak, make sure you are not using power steering fluid.
Use ATF fluid with DexIII
Why, because the seals used are the same as the transmission.

Is you use PS it will degrade the seal and allow the fluid to leak.