Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

is it lifted?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
TTBlues is on a distinguished road
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
is it lifted?

I hope you guys can bear with me, with all my noob questions. I'm learning as quickly as possible and really appreciate the info at this site.

I'm pretty sure that's a spacer at the top of my front struts, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find a pic of OEM struts for comparisson.
I also see a fourth leaf that's not in the pack in the back.

Is this lifted? Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
is it lifted?-strut.jpg   is it lifted?-rear-sus.l.jpg   is it lifted?-rear-sus.-r.jpg   is it lifted?-front-wheel.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Front looks lifted with a spacer, rear look lifted with an upside down AAL..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
seymour butts
xgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerardo
xgalvanxgx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBlues View Post
I hope you guys can bear with me, with all my noob questions. I'm learning as quickly as possible and really appreciate the info at this site.

I'm pretty sure that's a spacer at the top of my front struts, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find a pic of OEM struts for comparisson.
I also see a fourth leaf that's not in the pack in the back.

Is this lifted? Pics attached.
2.5 or 3 spacer lift and add a leaf looks like. plus ranchos obviously.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Vidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Alex
Vidmon88's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^x2
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. That's what I thought. If the AAL is the upside down leaf, what about the one between that and the three in the main pack? Is that extra?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone!!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.
Geosh is on a distinguished road

Geosh's Tacoma Gallery
Not to thread jack, but is there usually that much space between the overload leaf and the other leafs? Mine only has probably 1.5" between them at the end of the OL leaf. Or are my springs just shot?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
Not to thread jack, but is there usually that much space between the overload leaf and the other leafs? Mine only has probably 1.5" between them at the end of the OL leaf. Or are my springs just shot?
I think his OL leaf is upside down, or there was a substantial amount of weight in the bed and the OL leafs bent.. idk.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Agree with all info here especially the OVERLOAD leaf--looks as if it has been OVERLOADED and bent. should not be much problem -unless you are going to HAUL HEAVY loads.
AAL rear and spacer front.
The rancillios might be a stiffer ride than some Bilsteins-If you ever change--Recommend the Bilsteins--I have had rancillios-they are Good-like the bilsteins better. JUST FYI.
If you remove the spacer-get Bilsteins.
NO __I DO NOT WORK FOR Bilsein--I just like the ride.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
I think the prior owner towed a fishing boat from time to time.

Either way, like with my 3 previous tacomas, this one has the dreaded axle wrap/slip yoke binding. So new leaf springs are on my list.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have seen things "not good" about (front)spacers--never have had them. There is an axle wrap mod,FYI.
Salvage yard should have some springs-if you were looking for stock.
OR someone here at TW might have a set cheap.
Have fun--I am on my third toyota truck TOO.
78-91-03
DAMN 91 was the BEST TRUCK EVER-TOUGH AS NAILS.
Ran the crap out of it-still running STRONG when i sold it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
I have seen things "not good" about (front)spacers--never have had them. There is an axle wrap mod,FYI.
Salvage yard should have some springs-if you were looking for stock.
OR someone here at TW might have a set cheap.
Have fun--I am on my third toyota truck TOO.
78-91-03
DAMN 91 was the BEST TRUCK EVER-TOUGH AS NAILS.
Ran the crap out of it-still running STRONG when i sold it.
when i re-do the suspension, i'll probably take out the lift. i like it, and it rides okay, but i'm interested in longevity and my cv boots already need replacing.

i tried the u-bolt mod on my old prerunner. it had horrible axle wrap and slip yoke binding. i put 2 u-bolts on each side of the truck, front and back of the rear axle, almost abutting it. it reduced the severity, but it didn't rid me of it. after a few months i took them off to see the difference, and the axle wrap was horrible. i've lubed the hell out of my drive shafts, but am yet to pull out the yoke. i saw a good write up somewhere (here i think), which i'll try on this truck when i get to it.

i do like to keep things stock, but aren't the leaf springs one of the weak points of these trucks? and wouldn't used ones be even worse? i guess they might be better than my overloaded springs, but i'd really like to take care of this leaf spring leak/axle wrap thing for good (if possible). though something tells me i may just have to live with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #14

FYI.When i purchased the 2003xtracab. The ride was "bouncy", Did not have the axle wrap problem.
The plan was to lift it a couple inches and stiffen the ride for some hauling(firewood).
Put in the AAL(rear) and Bilsteins front and back.
TOTALLY did what I wanted. Still a nice ride and can haul.
Only thing I would have done differently-I put the front shock setting in the middle-1.75"= Think it would have been better at the highest setting. Has a little rake-think it would "look more even" at the highest setting.
There are discount codes for TW members.
You can always PM -that way you will be sure I read your post.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBlues View Post
when i re-do the suspension, i'll probably take out the lift. i like it, and it rides okay, but i'm interested in longevity and my cv boots already need replacing.

i tried the u-bolt mod on my old prerunner. it had horrible axle wrap and slip yoke binding. i put 2 u-bolts on each side of the truck, front and back of the rear axle, almost abutting it. it reduced the severity, but it didn't rid me of it. after a few months i took them off to see the difference, and the axle wrap was horrible. i've lubed the hell out of my drive shafts, but am yet to pull out the yoke. i saw a good write up somewhere (here i think), which i'll try on this truck when i get to it.

i do like to keep things stock, but aren't the leaf springs one of the weak points of these trucks? and wouldn't used ones be even worse? i guess they might be better than my overloaded springs, but i'd really like to take care of this leaf spring leak/axle wrap thing for good (if possible). though something tells me i may just have to live with it.
There is a "LIFT" section for your truck.