Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lift ideas and info

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Lift ideas and info

I'm wanting to give my stock 01 Tacoma a little bit more of a "stocky" look. I have the biggest size tires that fit. So I'm thinking maybe a 2 inch body lift? I kinda don't want to get into the suspension lift really because of price. All I'm looking for is a tiny bit more height. So I'm thinking maybe if I get a 2 inch body lift then maybe I'll also be able to go up another tire size or two. Let me know what you think or have experienced?

2nd question
-Guy at the tire shop said they could do something to the rims so that the tires would be pushed out in the wheelwell just a little bit more. He said it would push the tires out to be flush with the fender. He said it would give it that stocky look I'm aiming for. In my mind I was thinking of those cars that have the wheels sticking out way beyond the fender. Which is not what im looking for. Has anyone heard or done this before? If so, how does it look?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
CBR1000RR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CBR1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
The problem with doing a body lift is that the mounts can become loose over time. Also when you lift the body the front and rear bumpers will have a 2 inch gap between the bumper and the body and the bed. Your better off saving up for even a cheaper suspension lift. As far as what the shop is talking about doing with your wheels is adding a spacer in between the hub of the wheel and the wheel itself to push the wheel out of the fender a little bit for that "stocky" look your going for. I would stay away from the body lift for sure. And the wheel spacers will put more stress on your wheel bearings depending on how big of a spacer you get.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
peow130 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
peow130's Tacoma Gallery
Daystar sells a 2.5" kit for pretty cheap. Just an AAL and a coil spacer, but it'll get you lifted.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
God it's like the blind leading the blind in here....

...Okay, so what kind of lift are you running as of now? If any?

Body lift is okay at 1" (not my first choice) but won't really change much and will give you that extra space to stuff larger tires. Just don't wheel the hell out of it

Wheel spacers like spidertrax will stick the tires out about 1.25" usually and give the truck a better, wider stance
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's leveled at 1" or 2.5" with 1.5" 3 leaf AAL.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey guys thanks for the help. When I posted this I hadn't done much research myself and was just getting help from others. So for the past 3 weeks I've been constantly researching and reading other people's experiences. I feel like instead of a lift kit, I'm gonna go with a good performance suspension that will give me the lift I want plus quality in the ride. Although I can't seem to find much info on what size leaf pack springs I need in order to get the rear raised about 2 inches or maybe 3 inches? Although I did find the OME leaf springs. So here's what I've set my list at

I would like:
-Bilstein 5100's all around (5125's rear) ($320 for all 4)
-Front EIBACH coil springs to get 3" lift in front ($170 pair)
-Rear 2.25" lift OME new leaf pack. ($400 pair)

So about $900 for parts only. Does that sound about the right price for a set up like this? If y'all know of anything just as good or similar for a little less $ then please let me know. Also if those prices look way off then let me know and I'll call the company and talk to someone to get final prices.

Would this be a decent suspension system that would improve ride quality, and get me lifted about 3" in front and level with the rear?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the help. When I posted this I hadn't done much research myself and was just getting help from others. So for the past 3 weeks I've been constantly researching and reading other people's experiences. I feel like instead of a lift kit, I'm gonna go with a good performance suspension that will give me the lift I want plus quality in the ride. Although I can't seem to find much info on what size leaf pack springs I need in order to get the rear raised about 2 inches or maybe 3 inches? Although I did find the OME leaf springs. So here's what I've set my list at

I would like:
-Bilstein 5100's all around (5125's rear) ($320 for all 4)
-Front EIBACH coil springs to get 3" lift in front ($170 pair)
-Rear 2.25" lift OME new leaf pack. ($400 pair)

So about $900 for parts only. Does that sound about the right price for a set up like this? If y'all know of anything just as good or similar for a little less $ then please let me know. Also if those prices look way off then let me know and I'll call the company and talk to someone to get final prices.

Would this be a decent suspension system that would improve ride quality, and get me lifted about 3" in front and level with the rear?

Thanks for the help!
It isnt on your list but look at Ironman lift. I am on my phone otherwise I would give you a link. There are a few threads on here about them, it is about a 2" lift so better chance of no bearing and uca issues
Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget extended rear brake lines, longer u bolts, depending on the condition of your stock main eye bolt, you may need a new one also it'll be greaseable, exhaust relocation bracket, shackles but you can use stock ones or get OME greaseable ones, bushings and the all important brake proportional valve bracket.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

So when I ordered my new suspension today I asked about...

-Extended rear brake lines and both Toy tec and DSMS said it wasn't necessary. They both said the stock brake line would be fine. Is this correct?

-I did get the Longer U-bolts even though the guy from DSMS said it wasn't necessary. Jeff from Toytec said I should, so I did

-I got the exhaust relocation bracket

-I'm gonna use stock shackles

-I got the bushings

-and I got the brake proportional valve bracket.

I hope this is all I need to install. I'm still debating wether I should try this on my own or take it to a shop? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined.