Buying '04 Tacoma, Need opinion on frame rust

Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Adoboy is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-163rd Inf
Name: Carlo
Adoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Buying '04 Tacoma, Need opinion on frame rust

Hey all,
If anyone could provide insight on how bad the frame rust is on this truck I would greatly appreciate it. This is the frame of an '04 Tacoma that I am thinking about buying but I do not know if this amount of rust would be a deal breaker. These are only on one side of the truck but the other side is better than this one. Thanks for your time.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
it looks like mainly surface rust to me, but I don't know much about the whole frame rust deal. My truck stays in the south.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Adoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Would a dealership be able to blast it off or atleast cover it?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoboy View Post
ehh.. I don't know about that. You would have to ask around. Maybe a paint shop would sand it down for you and paint it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
it looks like mainly surface rust to me, but I don't know much about the whole frame rust deal. My truck stays in the south.
Quote:
Agreed, surface and mainly superficial. You're going to really see some nasty road salt like we do here in NH. If you're looking for a long term solution in a truck you'll keep forever than you should do a frame-off resto; media blast it clean, and powdercoat it. But you know as well as anybody that our winters are nasty and rust happens. You could also try a rust converter. http://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Con...AQs-W48C2.aspx
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Adoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thanks for the input guys! I'd like to keep it for awhile, I've been craving an '04 for awhile, finally saved up enough money to buy one, only took a damn deployment haha.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the input guys! I'd like to keep it for awhile, I've been craving an '04 for awhile, finally saved up enough money to buy one, only took a damn deployment haha.
I haven't heard much good about gen 2. After my 2nd deployment I sold my 95 and bought a 2011, so I never had the pleasure.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Frame doesn't look rotten ,,only surface rust that could be cleaned up by (as said already) sand/media blasting.

I'd like to thank every veteran here for your service , you guys deserve RESPECT!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
ghs57 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chops
ghs57's Tacoma Gallery
Having lost two trucks to the repurchase program, and one which underwent a frame replacement, that rust looks superficial. If you buy it, take to to Toyota for a frame inspection. My 2001 passed the first inspection after I bought it in 2010, but failed last fall and they replaced the frame ( and many subassemblies). If it were not of the dents and scratches, it would be like a new truck. It's now for sale since I bought an '03 last week. All in all, Toyota been very very good to me.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs57 View Post
Having lost two trucks to the repurchase program, and one which underwent a frame replacement, that rust looks superficial. If you buy it, take to to Toyota for a frame inspection. My 2001 passed the first inspection after I bought it in 2010, but failed last fall and they replaced the frame ( and many subassemblies). If it were not of the dents and scratches, it would be like a new truck. It's now for sale since I bought an '03 last week. All in all, Toyota been very very good to me.
Not a bad idea to purchase a truck still within the 15 year extended frame warranty. My 95 developed rust at year 16, so I cut it out and patched in new material. My brothers 02 Tundra got a brand new frame and it was a whole new truck after that.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post

I'd like to thank every veteran here for your service , you guys deserve RESPECT!!
Thanks, be assured soldiers everywhere appreciate the support and have more pride in their service because of it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
mikebuyscars is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikebuyscars's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget to check the inner side of the frame too. I just lost my 4Runner to frame rust. it was a fully boxed frame and looked great from the outside, just some minor stuff. I was underneath one day and saw holes on the inside near the rear control arm. It came from the inside out! I wanted to get into a pickup so I traded it in for a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab TRD. I am going to stay on top of any rust with a rust neutralizer.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebuyscars View Post
Don't forget to check the inner side of the frame too. I just lost my 4Runner to frame rust. it was a fully boxed frame and looked great from the outside, just some minor stuff. I was underneath one day and saw holes on the inside near the rear control arm. It came from the inside out! I wanted to get into a pickup so I traded it in for a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab TRD. I am going to stay on top of any rust with a rust neutralizer.
Thats exactly what my 95 did. I'm pretty sure the mud and road salt build up in there and hold moisture. And then one day *poof* big ass gaping holes in the frame.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
2004TacomaNavy is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircraft Maintenance Chief
Name: Brian
2004TacomaNavy's Tacoma Gallery
Once you get the rust/corrosion taken care of, make sure you get your frame olong with the bottom of your truck UNDER COATED!!! That way you will not have the same problem come back.
Also, make sure you don't put anything over any corrosion. It will just trap it and make it worse faster.