Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Suspension

Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Pyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
Pyro's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Suspension Bucking

Hey guys,

I got mid travel (icon coilovers and camburg arms) but in the rear I only have Procomp 9000s. Looking to upgrade my rear suspension, but I dont wanna pay an arm and a leg. When im nailing whoops, my rear is bucking me all over the place. Even on speed bumps in a shopping center my rear just pops me way harder than my front. What do you reccommend instead of getting expensive stuff?

Also, if I raise my coil overs another 1/2" to 1" will I loose less travel? my front suspension is set at the factory setting and never touched them after they were installed. I am sure the shocks settled all the way down since I purchased them.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks don't settle. Coils do.

You won't really loose travel..but it'll go t a different place. Like the more you crank them down the more up travel you get but less down travel. I'd find a happy medium,

There is no way you can go cheap on the rear and not have it keep it. Honestly the rear should out preform the front for whoops and such. Your gonna want a new leaf pack and some nice rear shocks. Possibly even a shock relocation and mini bed cage if you want to go all out.

Either way..there is no cheap way.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Like Blackdawg said, your front is suspension is directly related to the length of your control arm. It is pinned on one side and rotates about that point, so the length of your control arm is the radius of your circular range of motion. Changing ride height changes the point, along that radius, where your truck sits.

For the rear, I find myself wondering if your springs are too stiff. Is that bucking your feeling the truck hitting the bump stops, or is it it related to the truck attempting to compress a hard spring? The first thing I'd do is go through all the bushings in the rear and make sure something isn't bound up. Old rubber bushings can end up sticking to spring and shackle bolts . If that isn't the case, I'd look to be sure that the springs still have good arch and are the correct rate. After that, I'd look at the shocks to be sure they aren't in stiction. Then I'd look at the shackle and shackle angle. If everything is in good condition, you should know at that point what you need to upgrade.

Sorry, long post.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Pyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant futurePyro has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
Pyro's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Like Blackdawg said, your front is suspension is directly related to the length of your control arm. It is pinned on one side and rotates about that point, so the length of your control arm is the radius of your circular range of motion. Changing ride height changes the point, along that radius, where your truck sits.

For the rear, I find myself wondering if your springs are too stiff. Is that bucking your feeling the truck hitting the bump stops, or is it it related to the truck attempting to compress a hard spring? The first thing I'd do is go through all the bushings in the rear and make sure something isn't bound up. Old rubber bushings can end up sticking to spring and shackle bolts . If that isn't the case, I'd look to be sure that the springs still have good arch and are the correct rate. After that, I'd look at the shocks to be sure they aren't in stiction. Then I'd look at the shackle and shackle angle. If everything is in good condition, you should know at that point what you need to upgrade.

Sorry, long post.
Thanks guys for the information. It feels like my rebound is wayyyyy too fast. I know there isn't a rebound setting but hopefully that helps.

The feeling when I nail a speed bump pops the crap out of my rear and makes it an uncomfortable ride. I have no idea how to check those things, but I'll try to do some research.

Also, when I ment a "cheaper way" for thr rear suspension... I mean like I got mid travel on my front instead of LT. But it was more cost effective And gave much better suspension. So what do you reccommend for the rear on a lower budget end?

thanks