1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper light socket

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mnger9, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Apr 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    I'm a newbie on here, and a newbie to owning a Tacoma. I have an 04 Tacoma Prerunner. I had a problem with the bumper light fogging and I bought replacement lenses for it. It stayed good for a while, but started fogging again. Eventually burnt the bulb out, then it burnt the plug and socket assembly out. I found the female plug that is attached to the harness, but I cannot locate the bulb socket anywhere. I did find a couple places selling the lens with the socket, but my lenses are new and don't need another one. Not sure if this was originally a turn signal. When I bought it (used), it had 3157 bulbs installed, and I like the extra light they put off. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

2. May 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    The bulb socket with the male end is the part I am searching for

3. May 1, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Was in a rush last night to post my questions on this forum as I had to work, however after having more time to research it, this originally was a turn signal, and had been converted to a clear running light of sorts. I was able to find the proper plug or socket assembly (toyota part #81515a), and my question now is: Is the 3157 bulb in this wiring configuration overloading the circuit?, or is my problem with the fried plug a fluke, and/or probably due to the moisture in the lens housing?.

4. May 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Well, I received both male and female plugs in the mail. However, I did not realize the female harness end did not come prewired. Since my plug had burnt up, I needed the female connections inside the housing as well. Well after locating a Toyota manual online, dedicated solely for the repair of Toyota plug assemblies, I found what I was looking for. They actually make prefabricated pigtail assemblies with the proper wire termination as well as a preinstalled grommet to make the assembly water proof. I must say that I was impressed to find a 400-plus page manual dedicated to repairing plug connections, even though I found what I was looking for on page 360 or so. My problem lied with the socket leaking water inside the lens and it actually made it back to the plug connections where it shorted out. So I will wait for my terminations to come in the mail and get them soldered to the harness when they come in. Sorry this post is so long, but I really wanted to share with people on here the fact that Toyota created a repair manual just for plug assemblies. It came in quite handy, even though some areas were somewhat cryptic.

5. Apr 14, 2018 at 4:17 AM
    smokn

smokn Unsenior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD SPORT SR5 4x4
    Thread bump for appreciation. My turn signal/DTRL socket is also burnt out. I appreciate you posting your whole process, even if you didn’t get any replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top