Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Exterior Door Handle Removal

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
DUCKSHOT is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
DUCKSHOT's Tacoma Gallery
Exterior Door Handle Removal

Tryin to get the door handles off and the only one I can get off is the left rear. There are 2 bolts that come off easy on all handles and then 1 clip I think on the back two.
I am able to get off the bottom clip on the drivers side (for the key hole) but can't get the top one off. Feel like I'm going to break it if I use any more perssure.
It's a yellow clip that I can rotate but the the head looks like it's mushroomed out.
Search ed google and on here, no luck....
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Coast Guard:
No one take theres off yet?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Sankuh is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Sankuh's Tacoma Gallery
I removed all 4 of my handles awhile back. When I took them off I was replacing all 4 handles. I had the same problem and noticed the new handles came with new clips, so I ended up just bending, twisting, and wrenching it till they would either break off or bend enough to pop out.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankuh View Post
I removed all 4 of my handles awhile back. When I took them off I was replacing all 4 handles. I had the same problem and noticed the new handles came with new clips, so I ended up just bending, twisting, and wrenching it till they would either break off or bend enough to pop out.
That's not what I wanted to hear....
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If the handle clips don't break, the plastic door panel clips will. The plastic drys out and gets brittle, and the interior of the door is exposed to the elements. You can try some PB Blaster/penetrating oil, but you'll probably break the clips anyway.
The HELP section in Autozone might have some. Call 'em.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Is it the interior panel thats giving problems? or is it the plastic clip on a armature thats giving problems?

Either way, i replaced my drivers side door a couple months back in 20* weather. It was a bitch, and that plastic clip snapped off on removal. Nothing could be done.

The new handle really should come with one. Mine did, thank god.

the really fucking hard portion of the re-install is getting the lock cylinder lined up correctly, with that lock tab armature in the correct position. I promise, it will be 100% pain in the ass.

But, it will eventually give up, and you'll get it
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Is it the interior panel thats giving problems? or is it the plastic clip on a armature thats giving problems?

Either way, i replaced my drivers side door a couple months back in 20* weather. It was a bitch, and that plastic clip snapped off on removal. Nothing could be done.

The new handle really should come with one. Mine did, thank god.

the really fucking hard portion of the re-install is getting the lock cylinder lined up correctly, with that lock tab armature in the correct position. I promise, it will be 100% pain in the ass.

But, it will eventually give up, and you'll get it
I am currently putting a bed liner all over the truck so it has to come off. Can't afford to buy new ones right now so I'm gunna have to figure something out.
I have taken the drivers side almost all the way off and had the key lock fall off and inside the door. Went back with no problems, hopefully I can do it again....
Was hoping there was a tool or a specific method of taking it off.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
comstone is on a distinguished road
comstone's Tacoma Gallery
My issue is getting the inside latch/release undone. I can get all other pins, etc., out. Trying to remove inside panel to access the main handle. But does the inside latch need a special tool to get it?

Bother.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comstone View Post
My issue is getting the inside latch/release undone. I can get all other pins, etc., out. Trying to remove inside panel to access the main handle. But does the inside latch need a special tool to get it?

Bother.
Take the screw out and slide it forward I think. Either way, once its off I turn the panel sideways and pull the handle through it. I don't mess with the clip.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comstone View Post

Bother.
Undo the screw, then slide the handle forward. It will pop out of the panel but still be attached to the pull rod.

To get it off the pull rod, just pull the rearmost part of that clip off the horizontal part of the rod. Literally just pull the plastic clip towards you and it'll pop off the horizontal part of the rod. Then just slide the whole handle down off the rod.

When done properly that plastic clip remains part of the whole handle assembly.

It's hard to explain in words but so super simple to do...

I did it wrong the first time and you can see the results. I thought the plastic clip was to be pulled out of the handle, and it broke. But in this picture you can see the part that is clipped to the horizontal part of the rod... the backside of that clip is open, so it literally just pulls off the rod and then you can slide the vertical part of the rod out of the clip