Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Swapping 2nd gen wheel/tire combo to 1st gen...anything of concern?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
oldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: ex-Navy, ex-ARNG, Yokosuka, Sandog, and Louisiana
Name: Jonathan
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping 2nd gen wheel/tire combo to 1st gen...anything of concern?

Hi; I've been reading these forums for a few weeks and have found them really helpful in thinking about what/how I might like to tinker with my truck.

Lo and behold, take-offs from a new 2013 appeared on Craigslist, 4 alloy wheels with new BFG Rugged Trails (I've read they're not everyone's favorite, but the price was right) for $1000. My old wheels are shot cosmetically from MN road salt and I will need new tires before next winter, so I went ahead and grabbed them.

I noticed the 2013 lug nuts were shorter by something like a quarter inch than my 2004's. Can I just re-use my old lug nuts or do I need the 2nd gen lugnuts?

Anything else to be concerned about, or do I just slap the new ones on when I finish running the tread on my current ones? Is there a market at all for 1st gen pitted rims, or am I heading to the scrap yard when I'm through with the swap?

Thanks in advance, and also howdy. My leaf springs are partially inverted, so I'll probably be asking about that later, before I start towing a Livin Lite aluminum camper this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Swapping 2nd gen wheel/tire combo to 1st gen...anything of concern?-img_20130430_200211_760.jpg   Swapping 2nd gen wheel/tire combo to 1st gen...anything of concern?-img_20130430_200543_037.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
oldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
Rats. Thanks for the reply. Is the shorter outside offset very noticeable? Does it cause any rubbing?

Do I need to drop $200 on 4 spidertrax spacers, and do they go fairly easy?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
the additional 1/2' width of the rim goes to the inside, the outside of the 2013 rim is in the same positon as the original factory rims...

BS on original rims, 4.5", original rim width 7"
BS on the newer rims, 5", new rim width 7.5"

I did this to my 2000 Prerunner TRD, 2010 Tacoma alloy takeoffs, I did add a 1.25" HC spacer all the way around to give it a better stance, so effective BS is now 3.75"...I can verify your old lugs nuts will work, use them on the fronts for sure because the studs are only 7/8" up front and the extra nut length helps for piece of mind...

Go for it...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a set of second generation TRD wheels also for my 03'. I've since switched to some Method wheels but here are a few things I encountered and some additional tips for you.

1.) They will be bolt on fine with your stock 1st generation lug nuts, however as mentioned the backspacing is a little different the your old wheels so you may have a slight rub on the frame if you upgrade to an agressive all terrain tire. The tires you see in the pic are 265/65/16 Goodyear Duratracs with TRD wheels and no lift. They rubbed slightly on the frame at full wheel lock.

2.) You should be able to sell your old wheels, but being pitted you can expect around $75 $100 for the set. Probably will be sold to someone who will paint the anyways. In good condition they normally sell for around $150 for the set.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
the additional 1/2' width of the rim goes to the inside, the outside of the 2013 rim is in the same positon as the original factory rims...

BS on original rims, 4.5", original rim width 7"
BS on the newer rims, 5", new rim width 7.5"

I did this to my 2000 Prerunner TRD, 2010 Tacoma alloy takeoffs, I did add a 1.25" HC spacer all the way around to give it a better stance, so effective BS is now 3.75"...I can verify your old lugs nuts will work, use them on the fronts for sure because the studs are only 7/8" up front and the extra nut length helps for piece of mind...

Go for it...
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the specs! Will try them sans spacers first, and then maybe think about spending the $+time on spacers depending.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswab View Post
Hi; I've been reading these forums for a few weeks and have found them really helpful in thinking about what/how I might like to tinker with my truck.

Lo and behold, take-offs from a new 2013 appeared on Craigslist, 4 alloy wheels with new BFG Rugged Trails (I've read they're not everyone's favorite, but the price was right) for $1000. My old wheels are shot cosmetically from MN road salt and I will need new tires before next winter, so I went ahead and grabbed them.

I noticed the 2013 lug nuts were shorter by something like a quarter inch than my 2004's. Can I just re-use my old lug nuts or do I need the 2nd gen lugnuts?

Anything else to be concerned about, or do I just slap the new ones on when I finish running the tread on my current ones? Is there a market at all for 1st gen pitted rims, or am I heading to the scrap yard when I'm through with the swap?

Thanks in advance, and also howdy. My leaf springs are partially inverted, so I'll probably be asking about that later, before I start towing a Livin Lite aluminum camper this season.
For starters, you need to send me the wheels you are taking off....
Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
OP, Like others have already said, you should be fine. I only had slight rubbing of my front tires on the frame at full turn, but spacers fixed that, I think my tires were the issue not the wheels. I would first try mounting them without spacers, you might not need them at all with those tires.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
pls5160 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
pls5160's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar question as Oldswab. I have a 2004 TRD with stock wheels with 265/70/16s. A fellow has a set of stock wheels with the same size tire off a 2009 TRD. Have not seen them yet so have not measured the offset. Does anyone know if the offset (BS) is different?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
5m lug to 5 lug, yes

6 lug to 6 lug, yes

might be small amount of rubbing full lock, other wise good to go...