1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd light stuck on

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sk8rjess, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess [OP] IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    i'm stumped on this. i put in a new front diff for a regear a few months ago. it was good and working before it was put into my truck so i know nothing is broke. but now my 4wd light is always on even though it still works as normal - 2wd and 4wd hi and low

i was just ignoring it for the last few months but i forgot about it being on 2 mornings in a row this week and decided it may be time to fix it.

2. May 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    ADD or man hub

3. May 3, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
  4. May 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    With ADD this is the sequence of events when 4wd is engaged.

The transfer case is shifted into 4wd with a manual stick or an electric motor and a 4wd switch on the case is activated. At this point the front drive shaft and the ring/pinion is spinning at the appropriate speed to allow the ADD actuator on the diff to "connect" with out much complaining. The 4wd dash indicator is controlled by a switch in/on the ADD actuator with both the electric and the vacuum versions.
    I would start by looking at that switch operation relative to the position of the ADD shift fork.

AS Toyota likes to say, "HINT" Keep in mind that you can shift the transfer out of 4wd but the 4wd light will not go out until the ADD has finished it's job.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. May 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    the ADD fork, are you speaking of the 4wd shifter? if not where is that at?

6. May 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    The ADD fork is in the ADD actuator. It slides a splined sleeve between "intermediate shaft 1 and 2" on the pass side of the diff, connecting them together (4wd) or disconnecting them (2wd).

7. May 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    One more thing, because your transfer can be in 2wd and the ADD system in the 4wd position (malfunction), a quick check of this condition would be to jack up 1 front wheel and spin it (transfer in 2wd). If the front drive shaft spins, the ADD actuator is in the 4wd position, keeping the dash light on.

8. May 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    sk8rjess

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    gotcha. i'll look more into it this weekend. i may be posting with more questions, thanks

9. May 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    We posted at the same time, don't miss post #7 for a quick check.

Products Discussed in

To Top