Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how to identify a trd Tacoma.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
scheide is on a distinguished road
scheide's Tacoma Gallery
how to identify a trd Tacoma.

What can I look for on a Tacoma that shows it is a true trd? I see a lot of tacomas for sale, they say they are trd's, but no stickers. Isn't there something on the rear axle that I can identify that it is a trd? sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I drive an 84 Toyota now, so this is all new to me. thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Name: Donnie
02sr5trd's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD off road comes with a rear diff lock. the button will be located to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sr5trd View Post
The TRD off road comes with a rear diff lock. the button will be located to the left of the steering wheel.
Not all of em. 1st gen Prerunner 4 cyl, for example.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
rmtofast is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rmtofast's Tacoma Gallery
Trd 4x4 will have elocker factory , bigger sway bar up front, if its on factory suspension it will have bilistens stock. Alot of people add the stickers to a non trd Tacoma and try to sell as a trd, so if it don't hs e trd stickers and they say its a trd I find that hard to believe its a trd. Why take them off
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
rmtofast is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rmtofast's Tacoma Gallery
Also I believe trd came with slightly larger tires stock? Maybe wrong but if so you can look on the door code and see what size tires came on it
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Ppl take them off idk why. My dad's 99 is a trd wiith no TRD sticker. Just look for the electric locker motor on the rear axle. Drews is right but that's a rare find
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
TonyTacoBC is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
TonyTacoBC's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyl did not have the e-locker option.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
so the 4 cyl trd is just a 4 cyl 4x4 with a trd sticker? and no prerunner 4 cyl trd?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
so the 4 cyl trd is just a 4 cyl 4x4 with a trd sticker? and no prerunner 4 cyl trd?
Beefier suspension parts.

Or so they say.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Trans cooler also on auto. Larger brakes.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
scheide is on a distinguished road
scheide's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the replies. Like I said, I see trucks that say they are trd's but no stickers. I would hate to drive several hundred miles only to find out it is not a trd when they said it was. just wanting to save myself some headaches.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
TRD offroad will have an E-locker also look at wheels.
TRD Sport will have a scooped hood and 17" wheels.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
toycoma92, no scoops or 17's on a first gen.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #16
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport will have 17" wheels,Color matched mirrors, rear bumper, & as stated a hood scoop. The VIN # should tell all. Do the research so ya don't ge burned. Lot's of bad ass "TRD's" on this site have removed all badges including the TRD stickers.

Shit...Just noticed this is a 1st Gen post...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Tacoma View Post
toycoma92, no scoops or 17's on a first gen.
My bad didnt realize i was in the 1st gen forum! Sorry!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Normantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud of
Normantaco's Tacoma Gallery
I crunched the bedsides on my 03 trd and didnt get stickers replaced when i had body work done. Look for the rear locker button. If you are driving a distance to look at a truck and have questions about it, ask for a picture of the locker button.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a smartphone, just use the web browser and plug in the VIN