Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My version of the Free airbox Mod

Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
My version of the Free airbox Mod

Just another take on the airbox mod, I haven't seen anyone else do it this way. I took the fenderwell elbow off then rather than do the deck plate I used the elbow. It only makes for about a 2 3/4" hole but seems to fit and work well. The elbow had to be modified to fit around the headlight plug and the lower air box bolt. Other than that and the crapy grey JB weld it looks pretty good I think.
Attached Thumbnails
My version of the Free airbox Mod-309.jpg   My version of the Free airbox Mod-310.jpg   My version of the Free airbox Mod-311.jpg   My version of the Free airbox Mod-img_2882.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I had to redo, the pictures didn't attach the first time.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the mod for? I guess there is a thread somewhere about, Short answer?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
It just opens up the airbox a little. Search free air box mods and you should find alot about the elbow mod and deck plate mode. This is just my version after doing it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
It just opens up the airbox a little. Search free air box mods and you should find alot about the elbow mod and deck plate mode. This is just my version after doing it.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
Whats the mod for? I guess there is a thread somewhere about, Short answer?
Heres a good read thats also listed in the sticky section.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm#K&N and AMSOIL drop in air filter:
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking mod!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly the way you have it now is the elbow is blocking a rush of air you could normally get had you of just left a hole in the front. It's counter productive.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
what was the reason that you attached the elbow to the front of the box instead of just cutting a hole ?
The elbow offers splash protection which is probably minimal because it's directley behind the headlight, but in comparison to an open hole it's offers substantialy more protection.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Honestly the way you have it now is the elbow is blocking a rush of air you could normally get had you of just left a hole in the front. It's counter productive.
The only difference between this and the average deck plate mode is the hole is only 2 3/4" versus 4 or 6" that some others use and you can't close it at will. This is basically like having a box with two elbow mods. Both holes seem to be taking in the same amount of air just based on placing my hand by the two openings. The box itself is definately getting more air. Whether it's any better or worse than any other air box mode I don't know, this is just the way I chose to do it.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
The elbow offers splash protection which is probably minimal because it's directley behind the headlight, but in comparison to an open hole it's offers substantialy more protection.
Gotcha.. I'v got a 4" deck plate and was initially concerned w/ water/mud getting in there but after some time I'v realized that it stays pretty protected. The biggest thing that gets my filter dirty is dust!! there's not much that can be done about that though..