LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

So, I decided to seafoam my old 96 with almost 200,000 miles on it...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
So, I decided to seafoam my old 96 with almost 200,000 miles on it...

The results were a bit more dramatic than I thought. It's the 2.4 liter.

I was expecting lots of white smoke, not SOOT. You can see the grass was already black from the initial seafoam introduction. Some actual black pieces came out.

I seafoamed my current 03 3.4 liter and there was not an ounce of smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sZy4MYNy0

Safe to say that the cat is screwed, or at least its life has been shortened.

I have no idea how to embed this video...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
I LIVE FOR THIS
ARB1977 has a spectacular aura aboutARB1977 has a spectacular aura about

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking on sea foam my 2002 with almost 150K. During its life I've used nothing but Chevron and Shell gas and synthetic oil. Also added FP60 and FP60 Plus every fill up. It helps to lubercate the fuel system, intake valves and upper cylinders. No oil burning, gas mileage isn't bad considering I'm running 265/75R16's.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
The results were a bit more dramatic than I thought. It's the 2.4 liter.

I was expecting lots of white smoke, not SOOT. You can see the grass was already black from the initial seafoam introduction. Some actual black pieces came out.

I seafoamed my current 03 3.4 liter and there was not an ounce of smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sZy4MYNy0

Safe to say that the cat is screwed, or at least its life has been shortened.

I have no idea how to embed this video...
Change your spark plugs ASAP now
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
that was a great idea..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
My 3.4L V6 at 160,000 miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-MN-oyzkI
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
what is FP60?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
My 3.4L V6 at 160,000 miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-MN-oyzkI
You happy with how it runs? Do you regret doing it? Seafoam is pretty benign isn't it?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
You happy with how it runs? Do you regret doing it? Seafoam is pretty benign isn't it?
It runs great! Seafoam brought down my idle, and it idles smoother. A little more power, but barely noticeable.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
same thing I was thinking.........I wasnt sure but I was gunna suggest changing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad32509 View Post
Im so conflicted on this......My truck has 58k on it, but its a 2005. Its just running really sluggish lately and seems like it needs a good cleaning. Im afraid to seafoam a 8 year old truck even though the miles are low
clean ur MAF sensor and throttle body first..............see if that helps before u resort to seafoam......also ur about due for new plugs, make sure to gap them....dont listen to the "they are pregapped" crap....better safe than sorry.

use oem denso, chris4x4 has a good writeup btw.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Thinking of something clever
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
dad32509's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
clean ur MAF sensor and throttle body first..............see if that helps before u resort to seafoam......also ur about due for new plugs, make sure to gap them....dont listen to the "they are pregapped" crap....better safe than sorry.

use oem denso, chris4x4 has a good writeup btw.
Yeah I was planning on cleaning the throttle body and maf since my intake will be off tomorrow anyways. The plugs only have 13k on them but yeah they are for sure denso and I gapped them haha! The throttle body was cleaned when I last changed the plugs but we just had a couple desert trips so might as well do it now
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
gnstalodz is on a distinguished road
gnstalodz's Tacoma Gallery
I have to research what seafoam really does. I have a 02 with 160K.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I think it can wait. It's not road worthy, has no tags, and no insurance and won't for a while. I'm the only person around here who takes the effort to work on stuff, so I'm sure it'll be there a while. It's not even really my truck anymore. I'll try to change them before my dad decides to make it road worthy.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Alby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud of
Name: Alby
Alby9999's Tacoma Gallery
When you say sea foamed it, what exactly did you do or how much and where did you add it? I've added it twice but I added 1 oz to 1 gal and didn't get any smoke. I have 63,000 miles
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #15

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby9999 View Post
When you say sea foamed it, what exactly did you do or how much and where did you add it? I've added it twice but I added 1 oz to 1 gal and didn't get any smoke. I have 63,000 miles
People are going to say use the brake booster, but don't.

Take the air intake tube off before the throttle body. Buy a can of the SPRAY seafoam and spray the seafoam onto or past the throttle plate while revving it. It's super simple and I don't see why more people don't do it this way.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
I LIVE FOR THIS

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDICDUDE423 View Post
what is FP60?
It's a fuel additive you add to the gas. It's made by lube control.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
I LIVE FOR THIS

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
People are going to say use the brake booster, but don't.

Take the air intake tube off before the throttle body. Buy a can of the SPRAY seafoam and spray the seafoam onto or past the throttle plate while revving it. It's super simple and I don't see why more people don't do it this way.
Or you can suck it up through the pcv hose after the throttle body.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've used seafoam in all of my vehicles except my tacoma (only have 26k on this one). Usually when I do it, I drive it around for a little bit after it quits smoking then change the oil, filter and plugs. I've never had any issues with it or anything it seems like it brings a little life back especially on some of my higher mileage cars. I had a crx with 330k miles and used it on it. I wish I recorded it, I smoked up the whole neighborhood.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
did it on my 01 xterra with 130,xxx on her. yea she smoked like a mother! but afterwards ran like a champ and no adverse effects. drove her till 270,xxx+ and still never had anything go wrong. i put it in the fuel every 30,000 now.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #20

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB1977 View Post
Or you can suck it up through the pcv hose after the throttle body.
Yeah, but I hate pulling those little hoses. Easier to tear than the big ones