1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjusting Billies snap ring while on truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Gooiegoogoo, May 3, 2013.

1. May 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Gooiegoogoo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    Had some Billies installed and I knew I should of done it myself but the truck has a warranty and wanted it to be done by a "reputable" shop for liability purposes and i was crunched for time. I asked them to set the snap ring at the middle setting and well to no surprise they didn't, they even wrote it on their assignment/qoute sheet. I'd take it back but we didnt end on good terms do to other issues.
    Now the question is, has anyone ever tried to adjust them without disassembling the entire shock. I'm looking for a little ingenuity and improvisation. Can anyone think of a way to compress the spring just enough to relieve the pressure or a way to not have to take the assembly off the truck.

Any idea would help it might get the ball rolling toward other ideas.
    Thank you in advance.

2. May 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Must of been serious issues because best way is to take it back. You can try compressing it on the truck and reaching up to the snap ring putting up a notch but I'm not sure you can compress the spring enough to move it. Or just take out the whole assembly, total of four nuts(easy) and compress it then. And I mean using a spring compressor.

3. May 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    SnowmanFX

SnowmanFX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    TX Pinstriped 08 Tacoma
    3" Lift w/small goodies
    Not Possible. I looked at it real close when I installed mine because I wasn't sure which setting I wanted or needed.

If you do the drop LCA method it is fairly easy and only takes 2 hours max.

4. May 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    You mean undo the nut on top, bring it down spring removed then adjust?

5. May 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    I don't think its possible. Take them off the truck and use the correct tools. I'm not saying its impossible to do, as I'm sure someone on here has figured out a way to do it, but personally I wouldn't try it.

At the minimum, you could just put your front end on jackstands, yank out both coilover assemblies, and find a shop in your area to compress/readjust/reassemble them, then re-install them yourself in your garage.

I found a shop in my area that did assembled mine for $40 cash, wink wink. Then I just installed the whole assemblies myself.

6. May 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    Yeah im leaning towards the Drop LCA method.
    What about ratchet straps over the UCA and anchored to the frame. Think that would be too much pressure on the UCA?
    Maybe i should quit this halfass shit and just redo it. Blows cause that shit was not cheap or i should just leave it how it is and lift the back some.
    Anyone think billies on 1st gen set at highest setting is too rough a ride. I haven't noticed much of a difference since i used to have spacers on it. SHAME SHAME i know but thats how i bought the truck.

7. May 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    If you were to jack the control arm all the way up, then attach a spring compressor to the coil, then dropping the control arm back down wouldn't that relieve the pressure on the snap ring enough to adjust the snap ring? Or no?

And I mean one of those cheap sketchy spring compressors with like two hooks on a threaded rod type deal

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. May 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
  9. May 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    That is a good idea. though i would only be able to set the compressor on one side. Think it would be okay?

10. May 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    Well if you go to napa or whatever they usually can rent out one of the spring compressors that two threaded rods with hooks on either end. And you should be able to get them both on the spring, I think

11. May 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    I think thats going to work. they wont be 180deg. from eachother but two is better than one. Thanks completely over looked that.

12. May 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    I was actually planning on doing the same thing tomorrow.. I need some more room to clear the 33's I have on the way

13. May 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    Are you putting it at the highest setting. What tires are you getting.

14. May 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    I have OME 881 coils already which are lifting me about 1.25-1.5" so I'm going to the middle setting. I have 33x10.5r15 BFG A/t's on the way

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  15. May 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    If you want 3" of lift definitely consider getting different coils like OME or Eibach. Then you won't be preloading your stock coils and it'll ride much better.

16. May 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    Gooiegoogoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    That snap ring adjustment method is going to be easier for you since you have longer coils. Im riding on OEM.

17. May 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    AK Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    True. I'm not positive that method would work, but $10 to rent a spring compressor beats having to take them to a shop to have them do it.

Products Discussed in

To Top