Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how much oil in the diff?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
how much oil in the diff?

Im going to change out my rear diff fluid tomorrow..Ive tried searching, and looking in my haynes but it dosent tell me how much oil to use!.

It cant be more then 3-4 qts. Anyone know?

No locker or LSD
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I belive its 3 quarts. Just keep putting it in until it runs out, and you should be good.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
You have a 96 right, I have a 99. I bought three quarts, and like Chris said, and the "BOOK" both said, drain, reinstall the drain plug, fill the upper fill plug until it comes out the hole,(upper fill hole) re install the plug voila sham wow you're done. If you don't have the metric socket to drain the diff, a standard 15/32 socket will work also.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
thank you
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Just a little tip..... *allways take out the top plug first, then the bottom plug. This way, if you drain all the oil out & can't get that top plug off, you won't be in a pickle.... This goes for the front diff & transfer case too.....good luck....
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Funny you should ask...I just did mine this past weekend. Bought three quarts, it took 2.7

The diff drain plug isn't centered on the bottom of the pumpkin, so after it quit draining on its own I jacked up the drivers side and quite a bit more came out.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

Firefighter:
good to know

What weight did ya use? 75w90?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I used 80-90 synthetic. costs a buttload but piece of mind.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Firefighter:
what did you use? mobil 1?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #10

not M1, Lucas. Now that I look at the empty bottles I guess it's not syn. Oops.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/pro...egoryCode=3242
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #11

Firefighter:
holy damn..9 bucks a quart!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
holy damn..9 bucks a quart!
synthetic is a little more than that!

im using mobil1 in all my diffs/transfer case.........75w90, and it took 3 quarts for the rear diff.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #13

Firefighter:
sounds good..I think ill go out and get some tonight
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #14

Firefighter:
i went and got some 80w90 valvoline tonight along with a fuel filter. Guess tomorrow is maintance day while i wait for someone to come pick my table saw up
Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i went and got some 80w90 valvoline tonight along with a fuel filter. Guess tomorrow is maintance day while i wait for someone to come pick my table saw up
good times!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #16

Firefighter:
yep..If i can remember that early in the Am(hes planning on being here at 10-130am) ill do a write up.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #17

Firefighter:
well i woke up feeling like crap, so i didnt take pictures. I did however change the fluid and fuel filter. what a pain in the ASS that filter is..I doubt it was ever changed..lol