Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

285 Clearancing

Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
JCH is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
285 Clearancing

Hey guys, so a couple days ago I got my 285/75/16 Hankook dynapro atm's on my 01 tacoma. We already did the pinch weld mod but still have a rubbing issue in the back side of the front fenders when i go over a bump while turning. I took the bolt out but it still does it. It shows where in the pic where. Ideas on how to clearance that? Does anybody maybe have some pics? Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yup ^
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Where exactly should i cut though? What's behind that area?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Where exactly should i cut though? What's behind that area?
Nothing that cant be painted black to match the rest of whats in your wheel well.... I got rid of my 285's because I wasn't comfortable with trimming the amount of material I thought needed to be taken out...looking back on it and after reading numerous builds on here since....It's not that big of a deal. Just take and trim the portion that you have marked...start there.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just flex it out, mark what is hitting and then cut what you marked. Then flex it again and see if its hitting anywhere else. If it is then cut some more. Use a grinder with a cutoff wheel or dremel or whatever you have that'll cut it.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
So here what we ended up doing. We ended up just doing a cut in the plastic from the pinch weld mod over. Did it all with a utility knife which is a little hard on the fender flare but you can get through it. The part with the arrow to it was originally a mount for the mud flaps. Its a 90 degree bracket of sorts so we pinched the 90 degree bend together with pliers then with a ball peen hammer flattened it up flush against the wheel well giving more clearance. Then painted everything with rustoleum rust resistant paint. Haven't heard any more rubbing since
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks for this informative and documented thread. What offset wheels are you running?

I've got a 4" backspace and am wondering if I can fit 12.5 width tires in there... Here's a pic of my trim job

Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Hey thanks for this informative and documented thread. What offset wheels are you running?

I've got a 4" backspace and am wondering if I can fit 12.5 width tires in there... Here's a pic of my trim job

Honestly i have no idea what backspacing i have because I bought the wheels used.Anybody know a good way to measure? I do know that the tires rub the frame slightly at full lock, oddly though its only when turning right.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
One thing a did notice is that with this cutting it leaves a whole into the space in the door jam. Anybody had problems with rust from this?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be happy to share anything I've done. Could you zoom out a little with the picture? (I'm not sure exactly what location we're looking at)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine hasn't rusted yet. Just be sure to wash that spot out after you hit mud or anything because it definitely traps it.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
I'd be happy to share anything I've done. Could you zoom out a little with the picture? (I'm not sure exactly what location we're looking at)
When you open the door it's the opening at the end by where the door hinges. I'll get a pic later today after school.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a more zoomed out pic.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Honestly i have no idea what backspacing i have because I bought the wheels used.Anybody know a good way to measure? I do know that the tires rub the frame slightly at full lock, oddly though its only when turning right.
What kind of rims are they?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
What kind of rims are they?
Niche
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I had to trim out the majority of my inner splash guard
as well...

Yeah, the tires will throw up dirt, mud and little rocks
an it tends to get packed in there.

The solution would be to remove the fender
and install some sort of deflector farther back.

I temporarily used a pair of those foam
insulation covers for gas pipe...
and zip tied those to the hinges.

Helps a little... but is not a permanent solution by any means.

still find a coupla rocks and some dirt build up
in the pocket area at the lower door jamb.

So far the door seals have kept everything out.
But I do have to spend a little extra time flushing rocks
and dirt outta that area.

Might be more of an issue for those living in the rust belt areas.