LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thermostat replacement question

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
old school
5280 is on a distinguished road

5280's Tacoma Gallery
Well, got in the truck today and noticed right away that the temp gauge was AGAIN in the red. This after I paid for replacing the thermostat and a coolant change, to correct this very problem!
The shop will have to fix it, but I don't want to spend any more money there... After searching around TW and elsewhere I think maybe the problem is the ECT sensor... Has anyone else dealt with a similar problem?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
Coppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant future

Coppertone's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping for this phenomenon.

The temp on my SGII has ready 186-190 for the last couple of years. This weekend I did a timing belt / water pump / t-stat / etc.......all Toyota parts. I installed the t-stat with the jiggle valve at 12 o'clock as per the Hayne's manual, Safetydang's video, etc. Wouldn't you know....my temp is running at 198-202 now.

Tomorrow I will flip the t-stat to have the jiggle valve at 6 o'clock and report back.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
Well, got in the truck today and noticed right away that the temp gauge was AGAIN in the red. This after I paid for replacing the thermostat and a coolant change, to correct this very problem!
The shop will have to fix it, but I don't want to spend any more money there... After searching around TW and elsewhere I think maybe the problem is the ECT sensor... Has anyone else dealt with a similar problem?

its still hard to say, now they could have put the thermostat in backwards, I have seen that more than once.
Now, one thing, do not let the motor overheat. one tip if she starts to run warm, throw your heater on high, its not much but it might help.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #24
Toyota4x46921 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Toyota4x46921's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was at 12 o'clock....scan gauge 202...6 o'clock runs 190.....
Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
Coppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant futureCoppertone has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota4x46921 View Post
Mine was at 12 o'clock....scan gauge 202...6 o'clock runs 190.....
mind blowing.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #26

I just moved it to 6 o'clock. Running 188 on the SGII now.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #27
JJ04TACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
JJ04TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Jiggle valve goes down. Search jiggle valve. There is a thread with links to the fsm that will tell you he same. As for the thermostat it is sooooooo easy. Did it and hoses in 30 minutes. I installed jiggle valve at 6 o'clock. When I removed the original it was at 7 o'clock. It's a one owner truck so I thought that was wierd. I did research and it goes down.

Products Discussed in this Thread