Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Spoke with Craig at ECGs. Cost is. $120 for tool and bushing. He basically said this fix will last as long as the truck. I guess I'll be the test subject and report back. Ordering and installing in the next monthish.
I ordered and installed the bushing for 1st gen back in July. It works great so far.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Right on! Any tips?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered a ECGS bushing with tool a couple days ago. I'll take a ton of pics and do a tutorial
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #25

Sweet, ordering mine today or tomorrow. I'm really bad at how-tos but I'll make some notes and take photos. We can compile where there are any gaps or extra tips.

Edit:
Order placed and shipped! Really fantastic service at ECGS. Get the seal while you are ordering.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys!

I'm back in school so I haven't had a chance to do this fix but I'd like to tackle it over winter or spring break. Looking forward to the tutorials!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to point out when I did mine. The removal tool piece that you insert into the diff to get behind the old bushing was too wide. We were unable to get it to "set" into place behind the old bushing, even with a lot of force. After grinding it down just a small amount, it worked perfectly.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #28
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

can you show how you ground it? My kit arrives today, and i'd like to do it in 1 shot
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #29

I have no tools for grinding if it doesn't fit... Aside from a Dremel. Think that would work?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
Ace of Spades

I just got my kit and tore into it. It looks like the inserted puller is half a millimeter wider than the new bushing.

I'll get home and measure with a caliper. I may have to slightly grind the edges too. There's a lot of machining chatter around the edges of the tool. The cutter they were using was probably dying.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Ace of Spades

I think i figured out the removal tool problem;

East coast gear supply may need to be notified.

The removal tool OD is 1.55 inches

The new bearing, its 1.532 inches.

The problem? The bearing is a *TIGHTER* fit, as its tolerances are very tight with the housing. The removal tool insert is wider than the actual ID of the bearing slot, and its got some really nice chatter marks around the outside. I'll post pics when i get home.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #33

Shoot.. hoping I don't have to use the grinding bits on my Dremel fix this. I'm really not mechanically inclined... But that's half the fun I suppose. Thanks for update. When you gonna do the work?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #34

Supposedly my bushing/tool are awaiting at home! Woot! Still need to pick up some gear oil and mebee a few other goodies just in case. One step closer... Vibes are annoying the crap out of me.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Supposedly my bushing/tool are awaiting at home! Woot! Still need to pick up some gear oil and mebee a few other goodies just in case. One step closer... Vibes are annoying the crap out of me.
Wanna sell me the tool when your done with it?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
Ace of Spades

First, let me say this to East Coast Gear Supply:

1. What the fuck...
2. It's shady to charge me 120 for a bushing and lame ass tool, and having rust on both of them, in their packaging... That's unacceptable.

Spending 120 to get shit that:
A. Has badly scalloped chatter marks on the "tool"
B. Has rust on it
C. Isnt even dimensionally correct.

To say it lightly, when i opened my package, I was furious.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #37

Didn't get a chance to open my package up yet... Will let you know if mine have rust and chatter marks. Though I don't have super cool calipers like you do to check size.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Wanna sell me the tool when your done with it?
Yeah, once I know everything is g2g, I'll pm you. Prob won't be until early - mid January when I can take an extra day off to tackle. Figure I'll do rack bushings while skid is off too..
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #39
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, once I know everything is g2g, I'll pm you. Prob won't be until early - mid January when I can take an extra day off to tackle. Figure I'll do rack bushings while skid is off too..
Word, i don't even think ill be looking at doing mine till next summer so no rush.. I got energy suspension rack bushings and they're awesome, good luck!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
draddots is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
draddots's Tacoma Gallery
So has installing this eliminated the noise and vibration?