Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #41
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by draddots View Post
So has installing this eliminated the noise and vibration?
A few people who posted above you ^ reported success.

Btw, I checked the bushing and tool - my tool doesn't have rust, bushing has a little. Not sure how I'll clean it up but whatevs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
Junior Member
eunit is on a distinguished road
Name: ernie
Joined: Apr 2010, #35903
Location: las vegas
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
eunit's Tacoma Gallery
My seal just went. I have had vibration for awhile so I am guessing the needle bearing is toast.Do I need the install tool from ECGS to do this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #43
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Main question: does your vibration go away when switching to 4hi?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #44
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Alderleet's Avatar
Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Joined: Oct 2011, #65324
Location: Salty Hell
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,128
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I never noticed the vibration in 4hi.

Anyway, I spent a good part of yesterday futzing around with my tool to get it to fit.

I'm gonna sell this tool tonight or tomorrow on here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sooooo did you finish? Or just giving up on the tool?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
Senior Member
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Mar 2012, #74388
Location: Baltimore, MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 247
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
I never noticed the vibration in 4hi.

Anyway, I spent a good part of yesterday futzing around with my tool to get it to fit.

I'm gonna sell this tool tonight or tomorrow on here.
If it is too big, grind it down some equally on each side. It doesn't have to look perfect, just enough to fit behind the old bushing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #47
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Alderleet's Avatar
Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Joined: Oct 2011, #65324
Location: Salty Hell
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,128
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I actually had to grind the hell out of the tool to get it to fit.

I installed the bushing, and couldn't get it flush, but got it close.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So... To update this, I pulled everything apart. Only took an hour and a half with my new electric impact and ratcheting wrenches!!

Bad news, I managed to drop the tool into diff... Ugh. Going to try and fish it out with a magnetic flexi tool suggested on thread I started in second gen (figured there was a better chance someone there might have done this too).

Just so you know, the paper or whatever you stuff in NEEDS to be in there real good and packed towards the bottom of diff. Other than that, seems like my tool will fit ok, but we'll see. Maybe I'm missing something yet....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #49
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So... I ended up having to drop diff and crack open to get the tool. Some notes... My tool did not remotely fit, and that is partially the reason my tool ended up in the diff - not too happy about that, but hey, is what it is. Just going it down, and go slow.

Alderleet:
My bushing stuck out further than the needle bearing BUT it is fully seated. I'm not worried at all.

EDIT:

I AM VIBRATION FREE ))))))
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #50
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jspansel's Avatar
Name: Jay
Joined: Jul 2013, #108591
Location: Central OR
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 360
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
So of course it cant be as simple as just lifting my truck and being done with it...

I have not even put 10 miles on it since lifting it and now I get this vibration. It is a pulsing: Vrrr.....Vrrr.... Vrrr... Vrrr... like every half second/second.

Completely dissapears when I toss it in 4wd. Feel it and hear it by my feet.

Not too happy I have to apparently spend more money. Wife especially wont.

Seems you guys found the fix though so I am happy about that. Anyone have a tool they wanna sell cheap??? Or a loaner basis thing?

Am I ok to drive this for a little while before I get it fixed? Annoying as absolute hell, but will it damage anything?

Anyone have an actual write up/explanation/pictures on how to do this? I see the video for the 2nd gens... but is that the same? How about getting the CV out? Never done that before.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #51
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
So of course it cant be as simple as just lifting my truck and being done with it...

I have not even put 10 miles on it since lifting it and now I get this vibration. It is a pulsing: Vrrr.....Vrrr.... Vrrr... Vrrr... like every half second/second.

Completely dissapears when I toss it in 4wd. Feel it and hear it by my feet.

Not too happy I have to apparently spend more money. Wife especially wont.

Seems you guys found the fix though so I am happy about that. Anyone have a tool they wanna sell cheap??? Or a loaner basis thing?

Am I ok to drive this for a little while before I get it fixed? Annoying as absolute hell, but will it damage anything?

Anyone have an actual write up/explanation/pictures on how to do this? I see the video for the 2nd gens... but is that the same? How about getting the CV out? Never done that before.
Tacomataco2 bought my tool - maybe send him a pm? By the way I felt the same way as you... So annoying, and got a lot of flak from the misses.

Tbh other than me underestimating how off the removal tool was in size, and not blocking diff well enough, the rest was easy. I'll send you a few links that helped me out. I'll pm my phone # too in case you want to talk it through. I am not very mechanical, and even I made it through ok
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #52
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jspansel's Avatar
Name: Jay
Joined: Jul 2013, #108591
Location: Central OR
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 360
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Tacomataco2 bought my tool - maybe send him a pm? By the way I felt the same way as you... So annoying, and got a lot of flak from the misses.

Tbh other than me underestimating how off the removal tool was in size, and not blocking diff well enough, the rest was easy. I'll send you a few links that helped me out. I'll pm my phone # too in case you want to talk it through. I am not very mechanical, and even I made it through ok

Thanks! I feel I am fairly mechanical and have tore into stuff many times, but this latest bout I had with my leaf springs has me all flustered.

One other question... From the video it looks like the needle bearing is splined? But the replacement is not? How does that work with the CV?

I have not got the alignment done on my truck yet. Will this affect that to where I should wait to align it after I get this fixed? I only have a 2 mile round trip work commute and alignment feels fine right now.

What about a new seal? Recommend that or should I be good? I have about 163k on truck. And we only need to do the driver side? Why is that?


This thread should get stickied too btw... good info. Could save someone a lot of money from replacing more expensive parts if they knew about this fix.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #53
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
How it works, I know not. But trust me, it does this is widely known for 2nd gen but it appears to effect us less. Perhaps it should be a sticky now?

I know what you mean about leaf springs... Holy goodness that was a pain. I thought we were going to topple the car trying to align the axle.
Took two of us, ratcheting straps and a pry bar to git r' done.

You should probably do the seals, though I'm not practicing what I preach... They looked good to me so I just popped mine in. BUT I have the extra seal so if I need it... I'll replace later. I was in a hurry, and didn't easily see how to remove existing seals, but I'm sure it is pretty easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jspansel's Avatar
Name: Jay
Joined: Jul 2013, #108591
Location: Central OR
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 360
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
How it works, I know not. But trust me, it does this is widely known for 2nd gen but it appears to effect us less. Perhaps it should be a sticky now?

I know what you mean about leaf springs... Holy goodness that was a pain. I thought we were going to topple the car trying to align the axle.
Took two of us, ratcheting straps and a pry bar to git r' done.

You should probably do the seals, though I'm not practicing what I preach... They looked good to me so I just popped mine in. BUT I have the extra seal so if I need it... I'll replace later. I was in a hurry, and didn't easily see how to remove existing seals, but I'm sure it is pretty easy.
Thanks. Yeah, the leafs were a nightmare I am so glad is over with. I see now the original needle bearing is not splined... but is the bearings I see (I think). ( I now know that is what a needle bearing looks like) Hey, I already learned something!

Now to just find the tool on the cheap. Have a hard time paying that much for something that looks like it cost $4 to make.

And just to confirm...

THIS is the one I need (7.5 " bearing) :

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-144...l-bushing.html

Just told the wife and surprisingly... not upset in the least. Which scares me. She just got back from getting her hair done so maybe she is just in a REALLY good mood haha. I'll take it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #55
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
Thanks. Yeah, the leafs were a nightmare I am so glad is over with. I see now the original needle bearing is not splined... but is the bearings I see (I think). ( I now know that is what a needle bearing looks like) Hey, I already learned something!

Now to just find the tool on the cheap. Have a hard time paying that much for something that looks like it cost $4 to make.

And just to confirm...

THIS is the one I need (7.5 " bearing) :

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-144...l-bushing.html

Just told the wife and surprisingly... not upset in the least. Which scares me. She just got back from getting her hair done so maybe she is just in a REALLY good mood haha. I'll take it.
Nice work, glad you understand it, haha.

2ng gens are an 8", pretty sure the one for 1st gen is 7.5". Might want to call to double check.

Good to hear things went over ok with the lady. Hair appointments will do that - heck, her hair cut probably cost more
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jspansel's Avatar
Name: Jay
Joined: Jul 2013, #108591
Location: Central OR
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 360
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Nice work, glad you understand it, haha.

2ng gens are an 8", pretty sure the one for 1st gen is 7.5". Might want to call to double check.

Good to hear things went over ok with the lady. Hair appointments will do that - heck, her hair cut probably cost more
Haha yeah... I am not even going to ask how much her hair was. Probably why she isn't giving me any grief. She doesn't wanna cop to what SHE just spent!

Thanks for the help! I'm sure ill be askin more questions here soon when I get to the actual work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
Junior Member
tlebel is on a distinguished road
Name: TL
Joined: Jan 2014, #120423
Location: NH
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
tlebel's Tacoma Gallery
Video of 1st gen replacement?

Anyone have any pics or videos yet of this being done on a 1st gen Tacoma? Mine started the vibration about 3 months ago (vrr...vrrr...vrrr about every second or so between 25 and 40) getting real annoying and has affected mileage about 10%. Stock on everything, 115000+ miles.
I'm thinking of doing this fix but need to see what I'm up against.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #58
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,662
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

There is a vid of how to on a 2nd gen - looks exactly like the 1st gen basically you just follow procedure for removing cv to get to needle bearing, then do what the vid shows. One note... You will need to grind the tool from ECGs most likely.

Cv removal:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...dd-tacoma.html

Bushing install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnA_R3gFf2s

Edit:
I'm vibes free

2nd edit...
This goes for anyone but.... If you get stuck, pm me and I'll walk you through it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #59
Senior Member
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
GATORTACO92's Avatar
Marines:
Name: Alex
Joined: Jan 2012, #70702
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,026
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
Well looks like I have had the same problem.... But it has been going on for 4 plus years in my 01. I've basically replaced the entire front end to fix the problem and I came across this thread! Props to those that have done it and have success with it. I'll be doing this and water pump and timing belt in month of so. Until then the truck is sitting in my mom's garage till I get stationed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #60
Junior Member
tlebel is on a distinguished road
Name: TL
Joined: Jan 2014, #120423
Location: NH
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
tlebel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks johnboy. Probably a month before I get time off to do the job. It was the CV removal I was unsure of, now it all looks doable.

I will post how it goes.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread BenWA 2nd Gen. Tacomas 1932 10-24-2014 07:42 PM
1st Gen 4x4 / Prerunner Carrier Bearing Drop Bracket Beefed Taco Beefed Taco 28 09-11-2013 12:15 PM
OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration POLL BassAckwardsDyl 2nd Gen. Tacomas 72 12-14-2012 05:47 AM
Front vibration: diff bearing vs wheel bearing eeberleeber 2nd Gen. Tacomas 16 02-19-2012 02:20 PM
1st Gen 4x4 / Prerunner Carrier Bearing Drop Bracket Beefed Taco 1st Gen. Tacomas 2 01-20-2011 02:08 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.