Notices

1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #101
asiansurveyor is on a distinguished road
asiansurveyor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlebel View Post
Glad to see it all worked out!

and glad to see the tool keep it's US tour going :-)

TL
Thanks again Tom!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #102
OutlawJas is on a distinguished road
Navy: AT
Name: Jason
OutlawJas's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a tool for sale? This is going to be something I'm going to have to do soon also.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #103
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
I have one that I can sell you. The backing plate to pull out the old bushing was grinded slightly because it doesn't fit initially. Others had this issue too, it worked great though. I'm in Maryland so shipping should be cheap. If you're interested, PM me.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #104
fdbyrne is on a distinguished road
fdbyrne's Tacoma Gallery
Like others I just stumbled across this thread and wished I'd done so sooner. I've been chasing a cyclical vibration for about 6 years. It's gotten worse lately. I've replaced most of my front end already including both bearings.

If anyone has a tool they are done with I'd gladly buy it and then pass it on.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #105
Enigma8246 is on a distinguished road

Name: Lee
Enigma8246's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a tool to buy. Will need to do this soon and would prefer to buy one pre-trimmed.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #106
Pm incoming
Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #107
Grabwad is on a distinguished road
Grabwad's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else with the tool for sale?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #108
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabwad View Post
Anyone else with the tool for sale?
if you can wait like 2 -3 weeks ill have one for sale lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #109
Grabwad is on a distinguished road
Grabwad's Tacoma Gallery
That could work out...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #110
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabwad View Post
That could work out...
sounds good ill let you know when I'm done with it.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #111

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Got the removal tool & install tool, brand new never been used. $40 for removal tool and $40 for install tool, 70$ for both. If you want pics you'll have to wait till i get it in the mail later today.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #112
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto View Post
Got the removal tool & install tool, brand new never been used. $40 for removal tool and $40 for install tool, 70$ for both. If you want pics you'll have to wait till i get it in the mail later today.

Wha?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #113

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Wha?
i think i will probably end up using them..(my mechanic doesn't think he will need them lol..) ill probably do 60$ for both.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #114

He will need them, lol. And probably need to modify them too... Stupid thing is a pita
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #115

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He will need them, lol. And probably need to modify them too... Stupid thing is a pita
I guess i should probably leave my grinder for him then cause i don't think he has one.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #116

Mechanic with no grinder?

Make sure to take very little bits off at a time until it fits just perfect. I almost went too far, but it worked out perfect for me and the 1 or two other peeps it was passed on to!

Because the tool was such a shitty fit, I thought it needed to go back further than it did, which is why I dropped the fuggin thing inside... Had to remove and split the diff open to retrieve - hopefully this doesn't happen lol
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #117

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mechanic with no grinder?

Make sure to take very little bits off at a time until it fits just perfect. I almost went too far, but it worked out perfect for me and the 1 or two other peeps it was passed on to!

Because the tool was such a shitty fit, I thought it needed to go back further than it did, which is why I dropped the fuggin thing inside... Had to remove and split the diff open to retrieve - hopefully this doesn't happen lol
Eh i kinda don't expect regular mechanics to have grinders. He doesn't do any type of fab work.. Its very frustrating dealing with my mechanic sometimes though.. He is convinced that i have to open the clamshell but I'm convinced you don't to get the bearings out. Isn't that what the special tool is for? Anyways i told him don't worry about it and if he doesn't want to do it ill do it no problem.. Well at the end of the day my mom calls me and tells me he got super offended and is all pissed off at me because he thought i was saying he doesn't know what he is doing or doesn't know how to do it or something..

On top of all this ECGS only sent me one seal..

EDIT: ok finally got through to my mechanic, thanks john for sending me that video. I sent it to him and he watched it and understood. I guess you don't do this type of thing very often when you are a mechanic lol.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #118
fdbyrne is on a distinguished road
fdbyrne's Tacoma Gallery
Did any of you guys choose to go ahead and replace the CV shaft while you were installing the bushing? I got a remanufactured one from Cardone and I"m having a really hard time getting it seated back through the newly installed bushing. It almost seems like the OD of the CV shaft is too large or the ID of the bushing is too small. The CV shaft came off just fine but getting this new one on is a bitch.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #119
I did replace my cv shaft at the same time with a cardone shaft. It was pretty difficult to get in, in fact I recall having to take a big flat screwdriver and a hammer and tapping it in so that the retaining clip would slide in and seat. I did not have any problems getting the clip through the bushing though.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #120
Remember to insert the cv axle with the open end of the clip down. Seems to go in easier.