LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen 4x4 Front Diff Bearing Vibration

While sifting through the mounds of info in the 2nd gen thread about their front diff vibrations, I noticed that there are several 1st gens with similar issues (myself included). I made this thread to compile our own experiences and make it easier for us to filter through the information.

Please post your 1ST GEN experiences with diagnosing your problem, replacing the bearing and if it was on the driver or passenger side, what manufacturer you used (ECGS or OEM), details of the job, and whether the problem was fixed or if it came back.

Problem: (Language taken from 2nd gen thread, thanks little brothers)
It has been identified in a number of previous threads that vibrations may originate from a worn needle bearing and/or CV axle shaft on the driver's side of the front diff, a condition that is often exacerbated by putting a lift on the truck. A worn bearing/axle shaft condition may be present if you experience vibrations/groaning/growling (most typically between 30-40 mph, but also at other speeds) and the vibrations disappear the instant you switch from H2 to H4. Therefore, this is not a place to discuss rear driveline vibration issues, rear carrier bearings, rear driveshafts, axle shims, or other irrelevant matters.

Potential Solutions:
Replace the front differential needle bearing, whether it's from ECGS or OEM. This is the solution for 2nd gens and hopeful to hear similar experiences for 1ST GENS.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
brianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianpdx's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I need to try something. Dropped the carrier bearing, got shims installed to no avail. Subscribed.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I took off friday to swap my CV's, change ball joints, and inner/outer tie rods.

I this may be the cause of the annoying vibes. I wonder how much of a pain in the dick it is to remove and press in a new bearing.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Interesting. I took off friday to swap my CV's, change ball joints, and inner/outer tie rods.

I this may be the cause of the annoying vibes. I wonder how much of a pain in the dick it is to remove and press in a new bearing.
Here is a video of how easy it is on a 2nd gen.

I spoke to ECGS. The 1st gen bushing is still in the works but the rep couldn't gauge timing for availability. Since it hasn't been tested thoroughly, it didn't sound like it would be ready anytime soon.

I'm taking my truck to the shop tomorrow for inspection. I'll keep you posted on what they find.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has had this issue for almost two years. Its a deep, rumble strip sound on the drivers side between 15 and 35 mph or so. I've contacted ECGS numerous times. They told me last November that a fix for first gens would be out in January. Still waiting..
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
First gen bearing is ready. Got to call to order. Price for bushing and removal tool around $100.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Got the new bearing from ECGS installed. No more vibration!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Details of my install:

It took about two hours to get everything done. Two key things were first the removal tool needed to be shaved a little bit in order to fit behind the needle bearing. We tried tapping it in place and to no avail. Also when the needle bearing is almost out, you have to add something to extend to puller. Once the bearing is out against the steel plate, it still have a bit more to come. New bearing very easy to install using Autozone racer driver kit.

If anyone wants my removal too, I'd be willing to sell it.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
If you give me a week to make sure the install doesn't have any problems, ill sell it for $40 includes shipping.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
If you give me a week to make sure the install doesn't have any problems, ill sell it for $40 includes shipping.
yeah ill take it when your sure of the fix.. how much is the bushing?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
yeah ill take it when your sure of the fix.. how much is the bushing?
Correction, I paid $40 for the removal tool so I'd sell it for $30, which includes shipping. The bushing was $50 and the axle seal (not necessary but recommended) was $15.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've been having similar vibes and just got off the phone w/ ECGS about this fix.. Price went up to $60 for the bushing and $60 for the tool ..

I know that Inverno4 fixed his issue w/ the bushing, but how about the OP and tacomataco2 ?? did you guys install the bushing?

thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
johnboyTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I too would like to know. Bump for answer mine goes away in 4wd, and I checked some of the other things like wheel play. It's weird though, I feel/hear it more from hub side.... Subbed.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
I've been having similar vibes and just got off the phone w/ ECGS about this fix.. Price went up to $60 for the bushing and $60 for the tool ..

I know that Inverno4 fixed his issue w/ the bushing, but how about the OP and tacomataco2 ?? did you guys install the bushing?

thanks
I didn't, i think its about $130 with shipping for everything. A little much for me right now haha
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #17

Well... Pretty sure I'm gonna do this in the next month or two. Planning on updating y'all. If you don't see anything, hit my lazy *** up by pm.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
So, we sacrifice needle bearings, for a bushing assembly? Not too sure how I feel on that, but whatever works right.

I have this slight grumbling/pulsing vibration in the front of my truck. doing 30-40, I feel this slight pulsing vibration, on the driver side floorboards, once every 5 seconds or so. Is this a sign my needle bearings took a dump?

why is it only the driverside that goes crappy?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #19

That is what mine does... I just purchased the tools needed (I'm a newb), calling ECGs tomorrow to see the scoop on bushing. Stay tuned. I read somewhere from a chap who spoke to ECGs that these were supposed to be good for 200k +. I'll try and ask tomorrow when calling.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
So, we sacrifice needle bearings, for a bushing assembly? Not too sure how I feel on that, but whatever works right.

I have this slight grumbling/pulsing vibration in the front of my truck. doing 30-40, I feel this slight pulsing vibration, on the driver side floorboards, once every 5 seconds or so. Is this a sign my needle bearings took a dump?

why is it only the driverside that goes crappy?
Spoke with Craig at ECGs. Cost is. $120 for tool and bushing. He basically said this fix will last as long as the truck. I guess I'll be the test subject and report back. Ordering and installing in the next monthish.