Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spacers on top of 2.5 Sway Away Coilovers?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
01tacorunner
01tacorunner is on a distinguished road

Name: charlie
01tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers on top of 2.5 Sway Away Coilovers?

Hey everyone I have a question to whom ever can possibly awnser it. I want to get maximum lift in the front of my 2001 tacoma and was wondering if I could put a spacer between the shock and the top plate so I can have the softness of an uncompressed coil but the height of a compressed coil. Would it be safe to get longer bolts to reach though the spacer and safely thread into the shock? Everyone says that to get the 3'' lift you have to totally compress the coil but it rides like crap when you do that so this would give me a soft ride but also the 3'' lift that I need. Any help would be awesome, thanks everyone.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it you might get a softer ride but your up travel would be limited and you can damage you shock if you drive it hard.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
06yfz450ridr is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
06yfz450ridr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacorunner View Post
Hey everyone I have a question to whom ever can possibly awnser it. I want to get maximum lift in the front of my 2001 tacoma and was wondering if I could put a spacer between the shock and the top plate so I can have the softness of an uncompressed coil but the height of a compressed coil. Would it be safe to get longer bolts to reach though the spacer and safely thread into the shock? Everyone says that to get the 3'' lift you have to totally compress the coil but it rides like crap when you do that so this would give me a soft ride but also the 3'' lift that I need. Any help would be awesome, thanks everyone.
they actually make kits that add a spacer between the coil and top plate then you add the second above the top plate. but i just got a 3 inch spacer for my fronts and they are to long to even fit back in now. even with the sway bar disconnected i cant get them to spread enough to fit in. might need new ucas? so you might run into that problem as well.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Mike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud ofMike330R has much to be proud of

Mike330R's Tacoma Gallery
I'd also like to add a spacer to the top of my Kings. There has to be a safe solution to get the same height but a softer ride.