1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E locker ECU

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    K got a question on the e locker...it pertains to the ECU.

Is there a separate ECU/computer for the e locker and the 4wd? I am swapping in a locking rear and am trying to use as much of the factory wiring as I can to keep it simple, but the first time we took the wiring out of the truck we only saw one black box behind the kick panel and assumed it was the 4wd computer so we didnt get it. Now i learned you cant use a factory switch without the ecu or the locker will not be able to reverse out of locked position, so I need the ecu for it.

My question is where is it? Is the 4wd computer and the e locker ecu the same thing, or are they different units? If it is that black box (coming out of an 02 taco and going in a 96) then can I swap it into my truck? Or do I need to run two boxes?

2. May 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Later trucks have a diff lock ECU. My 99 does not, all the DL wiring is integrated with the 4WD ECU.
    Then there are all the variations to contend with, ABS/non, auto/manual trans, push button/manual t-case. Apparently somewhere along the line the plug on the actuator changed, just to make it even more fun.

I don't know the extent of your research but all the above is why most folks go with a simple, stand alone, dash to diff wiring harness. They can be home made or aftermarket or donor "diff to dash"/custom dash/switch.

Here are a few links you may or may not have seen, with links to links just in case you missed them. Dick Fosters diagram and explanation in the first link is pretty much the Bible.

3. May 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Thanks man!

Ended up getting a relay that I'm running it through in the end

4. May 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Glad you got it sorted out.

Here are some pics of the Marlin adapter I mentioned in your 8.4 axle thread.
    I added them to that thread for future travelers.

SEALADPT1_zpsd7aeb06b_2f9ecf6fb898209b99cfd6524ffce6c0caadcfa7.jpg
    SEALADPT2_zps9f3c85cb_013cfdc4d7a8db3db4df7d63b854462408da5c5b.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top