Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

E locker ECU

Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
E locker ECU

K got a question on the e locker...it pertains to the ECU.

Is there a separate ECU/computer for the e locker and the 4wd? I am swapping in a locking rear and am trying to use as much of the factory wiring as I can to keep it simple, but the first time we took the wiring out of the truck we only saw one black box behind the kick panel and assumed it was the 4wd computer so we didnt get it. Now i learned you cant use a factory switch without the ecu or the locker will not be able to reverse out of locked position, so I need the ecu for it.

My question is where is it? Is the 4wd computer and the e locker ecu the same thing, or are they different units? If it is that black box (coming out of an 02 taco and going in a 96) then can I swap it into my truck? Or do I need to run two boxes?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Later trucks have a diff lock ECU. My 99 does not, all the DL wiring is integrated with the 4WD ECU.
Then there are all the variations to contend with, ABS/non, auto/manual trans, push button/manual t-case. Apparently somewhere along the line the plug on the actuator changed, just to make it even more fun.

I don't know the extent of your research but all the above is why most folks go with a simple, stand alone, dash to diff wiring harness. They can be home made or aftermarket or donor "diff to dash"/custom dash/switch.

Here are a few links you may or may not have seen, with links to links just in case you missed them. Dick Fosters diagram and explanation in the first link is pretty much the Bible.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~dick/Wri...ck_control.pdf

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...=locker+wiring

Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you got it sorted out.

Here are some pics of the Marlin adapter I mentioned in your 8.4 axle thread.
I added them to that thread for future travelers.