Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Do Mice Live In A Truck Anyway..

Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
How Do Mice Live In A Truck Anyway..

Last week I posted a pic of a huge ass mouse nest in my blower motor fan. I also discovered that they chewed on my air filter, pooped in my airbox, and took insulation from under my hood. I got rid of the issues, vacummed the airbox out, blah blah blah... Oh, and quit keeping the truck in my mouse-infested garage.

Well today, a week later, they're in there AGAIN. Another nest in the fan, small bite marks on the air filter, more insulation missing

So... How the hell do I go about keeping mice out of my truck?! I thought DAILY DRIVING the damn thing would keep them away, but I guess not. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
I think peppermint oil will help deter them, or if in a garage you can try trapping/killing them off. Little buggers will get into everything. I would try a dab of peppermint oil around where you see evidence of them and see if that helps.

http://tipnut.com/mouse-repellents/
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
bomb the truck, not a bomb bomb, a pest killer bomb. put them any where you can fit them and let it sit for a few hours
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Last week I posted a pic of a huge ass mouse nest in my blower motor fan. I also discovered that they chewed on my air filter, pooped in my airbox, and took insulation from under my hood. I got rid of the issues, vacummed the airbox out, blah blah blah... Oh, and quit keeping the truck in my mouse-infested garage.

Well today, a week later, they're in there AGAIN. Another nest in the fan, small bite marks on the air filter, more insulation missing

So... How the hell do I go about keeping mice out of my truck?! I thought DAILY DRIVING the damn thing would keep them away, but I guess not. Anyone else have this problem?
I deal with this every week from customers.
#1 get the mice out of the garage. Use snap traps etc to kill them. Keep garage door closed at all times. Plug any holes in walls. Once done keep 2 or 3 traps loaded at all times against the walls.
Your truck.
Get some wire mesh and cover the air filter intake hose. Remove the cowl cover and cover the heater intake. There are many commercial products as well as home remedies to keep mice away. Dryer sheets don't work. They use that as additional packing.

It's all about preventative maintenance. They have a home now and will always go home. They have their scent in it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
They can hide anywhere for the ride and can live off eating your wiring . I've seen a few pool heaters where rodents have eaten away on the insides .
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
lay mice/rat poison in the areas they are congregating. Also, lay a couple mouse traps on the tire, under the truck, etc. You'll get the little bastards..
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys! I'm gonna take care of all this tomorrow.. and I'm gonna bring our cat out to the garage with me too, lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you have outlets in your garage get one, or two, of those ultrasonic repellents.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Molon Labe

Today I put a bunch of snap traps out in the garage, along with the boxes of poison food that I've been using for a couple months. I also used some pest bombs in my air box and above my blower motor (Advertised for insects, but in such a small space it oughtta knock the crap outta any rats that may be in there)
Also I may put a rat trap in the air box tonight just for good measure. Keeping my eye out for that ultrasonic thing as well, I didnt see any at Walmart today.

I'll try to get some pics up later of the nest
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Today I put a bunch of snap traps out in the garage, along with the boxes of poison food that I've been using for a couple months. I also used some pest bombs in my air box and above my blower motor (Advertised for insects, but in such a small space it oughtta knock the crap outta any rats that may be in there)
Also I may put a rat trap in the air box tonight just for good measure. Keeping my eye out for that ultrasonic thing as well, I didnt see any at Walmart today.

I'll try to get some pics up later of the nest
Good lord... I just got a vision of:

Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Molon Labe

Whats the easiest way to get to the air intake?