Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

couple more clutch replacement questions

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
couple more clutch replacement questions

This weekend I'm replacing the clutch. I've never done it before. I have the small, 2WD 4 banger tacoma. Anyhow, the shop manual says that I have to unbolt the exhaust from the exhaust manifold. It doesn't look like the pipe is really all that much in the way. I sort of looked at it last night. The reason I'm not nuts about removing it is because the nuts holding it on look nice and rusted up, which means either they'll break off or strip when I try to remove them. It also means I'd have to go back to the parts store and get new exhaust washers.

Secondly, what do you all do to support the rear of the engine when the transmission is removed? I guess you get a jack and stick a piece of wood on top of the jack and rest the oil pan on it?

Lastly, the manual mentions removing the transmission bracket. Is that the two large brackets bolted to the bottom of the engine?

Oh ya- one more thing. It suggests getting all-new bolts for the flywheel and clutch cover. I don't see that as being super neccesary since they aught to be fine, plus I'm using thread locker to reassemble it. Any reason why they suggest that?

Thanks for any help.