Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust Prevention

Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
JCH is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Rust Prevention

Alright guys so after the last Tacoma ended up being bought back by Toyota because of frame rust, I'm wanting to stop it in its tracks on the new one. Here is the kind of rust that is already there.

So what I was thinking was wire brush off the loose stuff and then paint it with rustoleum rust reformer.

Sound like a good plan to you guys?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
IMO there will always be some surface rust underneath... If you were really worried about it I would sand it and undercoat.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Get some por-15.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I'd hit the bottom section of that frame to see if it is solid, that looks alright though.
Those cans seem to be what everyone recomends (different brand though).

Some also coat their frame with oil, which is what I want to do because I have yet to do anything protective to it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
eastwood:
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
The last one I did I wire brushed the whole frame then used ospho (rust reformer) then washed it and scuffed it with a red pad and epoxy primed it then used bed liner to coat it. I have used undercoating before. I also has the bed and bumpers off and lifted up the cab. Don't use oil that can actually trap water and rust it faster use WD40 .
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you! Just lost my 2000 tacoma and was able to buy an 07. First thing I did was crawl under and look for rust. I ordered and just received POR 15, plan on wire brushing, cleaning and coating every surface that I can reach. Going to shoot the Eastwood product into what I can't with that little nozzle. If it doesn't rain this weekend I'll get started! I'll take pics as I go. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I do.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
KBS coatings is a very good alternate to POR-15. Performs the same, just a tad cheaper...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Fresh Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
Fresh Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Use a garden sprayer full of used oil and soak that thing!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
I can see how oil might help, but it seems like I'd have a ridiculous mess the second I went over dirt
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Oil won't work that's y when you go get parts from a machine shop their coated with water displacement 40 (wd40 ) water will get trapped by oil and start rusting faster than without. The reason a motor isn't rusty inside is because it is constantly moving keeping it oiled and water and oxygen free but a frame is exposed to air and water and the oil will move or mix with water trapping in rusting it faster
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby8100 View Post
Oil won't work that's y when you go get parts from a machine shop their coated with water displacement 40 (wd40 ) water will get trapped by oil and start rusting faster than without. The reason a motor isn't rusty inside is because it is constantly moving keeping it oiled and water and oxygen free but a frame is exposed to air and water and the oil will move or mix with water trapping in rusting it faster
Makes sense thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
JCH's Tacoma Gallery
So I know a lot of you recommend por 15 but I'd rather use an aerosol so it's easier to apply. If I just coat it with rust reformer would I have to top coat it with something else? Or could I just leave it and touch up when needed?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
do not use undercoating!! it is not for rustproofing, it is for sound deadening. it traps water.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoJohn View Post
do not use undercoating!! it is not for rustproofing, it is for sound deadening. it traps water.
^ i agree... water will get behind it through cracks/rock chips and rust from behind where you can't even see. Check out Fluid Film... http://www.fluid-film.com/
Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
por 15
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
You need some kind of encapsulator I heard there is a water based product called sts that's really good but you have to have an undercoating gun (30 $ from eastwood) bed liner also is an alternative and brushable
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has the Toyota undercoating on it. Looked good when I bought it, and now that the coating is flaking away, I see a ton of rust underneath. I wonder what I should do?