Notices

timing belt ?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
CaliKimba is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SrA Veteran
Name: Kim
CaliKimba's Tacoma Gallery
timing belt ?

Ok new here anyways I have a 99 SR5 and need to replace the timing belt. I know it's always recommended to go with toyota parts but as a cash strapped college student that's not always the easiest route. There are kits to replace the timing belt and water pump at autozone for 260 or there is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Timin...70865241552%26 . So I'm wondering if I should go the ebay route. Any ideas? Plus I'm somewhat mechanical (4 years helo mechanic) so I think I can tackle this project on my own. Figured it would cost a ridiculous amount to have a shop in Sacramento change it anyways.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Blindsider is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Craig
Blindsider's Tacoma Gallery
Heres the DIY from the FAQ's:
http://www.lieblweb.com/waterpump.html

and another step by step:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

I wouldn't skimp on the parts for this. You can get OE replacement kits on ebay too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-V6-Tr...7f7331&vxp=mtr
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat with my 01, wound up going with one of the air cabman kits from eBay and loved it. All oem parts and and a whole lot cheaper than my dealer wanted. It came with every thing but the red antifreeze that I had to get from the the stealership.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-TIMIN...4a37e8&vxp=mtr
Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xv11NRc5Xg
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^Holy hell are you a Toyota tech? Serious question. Anyways man thank you so much this is awesome!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

During this video I was just a guy who knew a little here and there. I am currently going to a T-ten school. (Toyota sponsored). I'm going to try to make more videos when I get some free time.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Good video, however I would point out that you should never use a torque wrench to loosen any bolt or nut. While they can be used that way, it is not the correct way, and can cause damage and inaccuracies in the torque wrench.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
get your facts straight

Yep learned that in class. I am no expert, just a guy trying to help visual learners.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
CaliKimba is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SrA Veteran
Name: Kim
CaliKimba's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thanks guys. I think I'll attempt this project in a couple weeks once my classes are done for the semester.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
MedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedicMutt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Certified FFII, Hazmat Ops, Instructor I
Name: Josh
MedicMutt's Tacoma Gallery
Fantastic bit of info there SafetyDang. Subbed on YouTube. Keep it up!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Jwoody is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Jwoody's Tacoma Gallery
Great video ! Thanks this is my next project on my truck. Not to hijack but Has anyone had any problems going with a aftermarket timing kit? I usually go oem but didn't know if anyone had issues with aftermarket.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
get your facts straight

thanks medicmutt.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
timing belt is just as easy on these as anything else IMO. but then agian ive dont alot. its alot about being very percise and double or tripple checking your work.