Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame replaced

Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershum View Post
yes I have the inspection repory saying it won't last much longer
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 was checked in 2010 by the previous owner. The report said it passed but was rusty and to bring it back in 6 months. He never did. I bought it last fall, currently inspected, drove perfectly fine, but once I started hammering on it I went through in a few places on the passenger side. Even with it being inspected previously the time was up and I was on my own. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of the older Toyota's I've fixed before for the same issues. A little plate, a little welding, some real rust-preventative coatings, and it's perfectly fine. I'm just glad Toyota stepped up on this as much as they did. I've had 10 year old Toyota trucks in the past rusted way worse than mine was with a fraction of the miles. My dad's 98 got bought back and for I think $800 more than his check he drove off with a nice 02 from Grappone. Same basic truck with 50k less miles 5 years newer for $800. Yes please!

BTW they are now going through the same thing with second gens. They rot out next to the cat on the driver's side.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
1st Gen Tacoma Driver
NH03Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Federal Bureau of Prisons
Name: John
NH03Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine frame is getting replaced next week.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
My trucks laid up for at least a month getting a new frame separation anxiety
a month?? Why so long?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
a month?? Why so long?
they said 2 to 3 wks for parts to get in, and another 2 to 3 for the work its only been two weeks and i HATE the suzuki rental pos
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #28
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
they said 2 to 3 wks for parts to get in, and another 2 to 3 for the work
Dang!! Does the tech take one turn on a bolt head and then go drink a cup, come back, take another turn, go have a smoke, come back, take another turn, talk to his buddy.....

Toyota allows 60 hrs to do the conversion. Most shops can do it in less than 30.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #29
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TawcoTime View Post
Dang!! Does the tech take one turn on a bolt head and then go drink a cup, come back, take another turn, go have a smoke, come back, take another turn, talk to his buddy.....

Toyota allows 60 hrs to do the conversion. Most shops can do it in less than 30.
I can't speak for that dealership of course, but depending on the current workload, even if the parts were to arrive in 2-3 weeks, it may take a week or two to get started on the job because of other customer vehicles in the shop? Just my guess since I have seen this type of thing first hand.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #30
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yeah mine was in the shop for 2 days....took about 6 days to get the parts, but they said I could keep driving while they ordered everything. Are you getting new leaf packs too?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Lol! i used to work there so i know its really busy, and there are dedicated techs who do frames, but also have another bay to do regular work. they're a pretty small dealership so i guess it'll take a while hah
Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
Taco Wagon
offrdmania has a spectacular aura aboutoffrdmania has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
offrdmania's Tacoma Gallery
Im so glad I live in California and dont have to worry about this issue. My truck has 150K on it and the frame looks almost as new as it did when it rolled off the showroom floor.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Spandau is on a distinguished road
Spandau's Tacoma Gallery
Just how dangerous are these early frames? My 96 frame likely needs replaced, but that seems quite pricey. Any instances of outright failure on these, or is a gradual thing?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandau View Post
Any instances of outright failure on these, or is a gradual thing?
It's just sort of "gradual".....

Actually, I've seen a couple where the truck went over a bump or some railroad tracks and the frame started to crack and the bed was jammed against the back of the cab - but nothing catastrophic.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame replaced-busted-frame_2.jpg   Frame replaced-toyota_rust-frame_broken.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
1st Gen Tacoma Driver
NH03Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Federal Bureau of Prisons
Name: John
NH03Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH03Tacoma View Post
Mine frame is getting replaced next week.
Stupid cellphone auto correct... made me look stupid again...LOL "Mine" WTF?