Notices

Gonna be a lot of work!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
New vehicle/Tacoma *****
theGastone is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
theGastone's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna be a lot of work!

So I took my truck (her name is Joan) to the dealership the other day for a check up like you'd walk into the doctors for. She's a '97 2.4L 4 banger, with a charmingly terrible red paint job. Anywho, I asked them to make me a list of things that are due to be done and their prices for doing those things. Here's the list yall:

1. Rotate Tires and Alignment = 79.99
2. Clean and adjust throttle body = 83.94
3. Flush and Change Brake Fluid = 156.64
4. Flush and Change Powersteering Fluid = 112.16
5. Flush and Change Differential Fluid = 349.86
6. Flush and Change Coolant Fluid = 149.94
7. Oil Leak Clean and keep an eye on
8. Replace Leaky Washer Fluid Resovoir = 15.14
To pay the dealership... Total = 947.67

My goal is to do all of these things myself figure out how much it cost as I do each thing myself. Then compare the totals at the end and see how much money I save!

For reference I found this and the threads attached to it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...tml#post612865

I'm gonna document my progress. I'll be more than happy to post it here if you guys would like as I get things done as well as update the costs etc. This is gonna be my project for the summer. Any other bits of advice you guys have before I start are most certainly welcome!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Id do it all myself only thing I would think 2 on would be a major oil leak somewhere...

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
I could do that all for $200. And 350 to change diff oil is nuts! you can change it your self for $40 and about an hour of your time
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Loppy is on a distinguished road

Loppy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouillard13 View Post
I could do that all for $200. And 350 to change diff oil is nuts! you can change it your self for $40 and about an hour of your time
This right here /\. Thats a Sunday morning project.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
New vehicle/Tacoma *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Id do it all myself only thing I would think 2 on would be a major oil leak somewhere...
Thing about the oil leak is that I've known it was there as long as I've had the truck. And it's never really been an issue. It's just enough of a leak to get the engine dirty over the course of a year and a half. But I'm going to clean it off and I have some stuff to put in with the oil to seal up the leak.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
this could all be done in one day easy with minimal tools for under $250
Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGastone View Post
1. Rotate Tires and Alignment = 79.99
The alignment is the only thing you will not be able to do yourself... unless you have access to the equipment.

Food for thought... if you plan to keep her for many many many years, look into a lifetime alignment.
It originally cost me about $109.
I have used it a number of times and the cost out the door to do a RE-alignment was only UNDER $4.

Well worth the upfront cost.
I use Brake Check.

One other thing, if the fluids have never been flushed before (other than oil) - - do not do a flush.
Do a partial flush/refill operation.
The way to do it is this way.
THis pertains to the tranny and power steering fluids.

Drain say about a 1 quart....refill with fresh. Run engine.
Drain again a 1 quart... refill with fresh.... repeat.
Yes this takes time... I have read that this is the best way for those type of conditions.
You will have to do this, until you see the fluid come out a similar color as the fresh fluid going in.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
New vehicle/Tacoma *****

I've been derailed!!!

I haven't started these little projects yet because I'm really tight on cash. But I did put some seafoam into the fuel line.

Now the Check engine light keeps coming on and off and first gear needs WAY to much power to get going otherwise the engine stalls. And I was going up a hill yesterday in third and the engine was running at really low rpms. Way lower than it is supposed to run.

I might take it to a shop today and see if they can figure it out because I can't. Was hoping you guys might now a thing or two about what could be causing this problem.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been derailed!!!

But I did put some seafoam into the fuel line.
What did you do? Are you saying you put it in the fuel tank?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
where did you put the seafoam? sounds like you did something wrong
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
yep, typical of the dealership.

They wanted about 540 to replace a inner axle seal on my tacoma (seated mine to far, so it leaked)

They said they have to replace the axle bearings and everything else. I was like "what the actual fuck?" you pull the half axle, and replace the seal. Maybe an hour of time...
Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
New vehicle/Tacoma *****

Sorry... I put it in the fuel tank.... With the gasoline...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry... I put it in the fuel tank.... With the gasoline...
Well, I'll tell you what everyone says. Clean MAF and reset ECU.

You might have clogged your fuel filter or something, but I'm grabbing in the dark at that.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
New vehicle/Tacoma *****

Angry I'm so mad!!!!

I still haven't been able to start this list of stuff yet due to other problems popping up. Put some Seafoam in the gas and that lead to a CEL. And my OBDII can't read any of the codes except first thing in the morning. I kept getting a P0130 so I replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Now when I get ready to go to work in the mornings there's no CEL until I've driven around for a bit. But no codes show up when I check it in the mornings. The only thing it tells me is that the Catalyst Monitor is incomplete.

The truck runs like a dream until the CEL comes on at which point I have to give it a LOT of gas to get going from first, the engine gets much louder, and the idle is rough, and really shaky. But this only happens AFTER something triggers the CEL. I thought that if I got on the highway and nailed it I'd clear out a bunch of crap that the Seafoam cleaned. Sure enough a plume of thick black smoke came blasting out of the exhaust. Since then I haven't seen anything else getting cleaned out. Yet the CEL persists.

So aside from the on board computer needing to probably be reset or something (since it can't read any codes after being warmed up), I have something triggering the CEL, and bogging down my engine. For the life of me I can't figure this out. Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #15

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I still haven't been able to start this list of stuff yet due to other problems popping up. Put some Seafoam in the gas and that lead to a CEL. And my OBDII can't read any of the codes except first thing in the morning. I kept getting a P0130 so I replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Now when I get ready to go to work in the mornings there's no CEL until I've driven around for a bit. But no codes show up when I check it in the mornings. The only thing it tells me is that the Catalyst Monitor is incomplete.

The truck runs like a dream until the CEL comes on at which point I have to give it a LOT of gas to get going from first, the engine gets much louder, and the idle is rough, and really shaky. But this only happens AFTER something triggers the CEL. I thought that if I got on the highway and nailed it I'd clear out a bunch of crap that the Seafoam cleaned. Sure enough a plume of thick black smoke came blasting out of the exhaust. Since then I haven't seen anything else getting cleaned out. Yet the CEL persists.

So aside from the on board computer needing to probably be reset or something (since it can't read any codes after being warmed up), I have something triggering the CEL, and bogging down my engine. For the life of me I can't figure this out. Any ideas?
Are you sure you put the correct sensor in? Seems like it's running fine in open loop, then as soon as it switched to closed loop and uses the sensors, it runs rough.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Try an OEM sensor and not the one from Autzone (not saying this is what you did, but with 02 sensors, its hard to beat OEM).

If you need help with the maintenance stuff and have space to work on your truck - PM me. Im in Alexandria/Arlington and can come over to give a hand. I got everything you'll need - just provide the fluid/parts and we'll be good to go.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you will obviously be able to save you a good bit of money by doing yourself as you will be saving all of the labor charges. If you feel comfortable enough doing it, then go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
yep, typical of the dealership.

They wanted about 540 to replace a inner axle seal on my tacoma (seated mine to far, so it leaked)

They said they have to replace the axle bearings and everything else. I was like "what the actual fuck?" you pull the half axle, and replace the seal. Maybe an hour of time...
I'm going to side with the dealer here and this is why:

Dealer replaces just the seal......200 miles later you return with a bearing noise....Dealer is expected to go back in and replace the bearing and other seals. It is in their best interest, to replace the bearing. Now maybe YOU would be one of those who realizes that hey, I just want the seal replaced, and I will be good. HOWEVER for every 1 of you, there are 10 who would do everything they could to screw the dealership over. When running a service department you should err on the side of caution and prudence.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I took my truck (her name is Joan) to the dealership the other day for a check up like you'd walk into the doctors for. She's a '97 2.4L 4 banger, with a charmingly terrible red paint job. Anywho, I asked them to make me a list of things that are due to be done and their prices for doing those things. Here's the list yall:

1. Rotate Tires and Alignment = 79.99 Not a bad price for rotate and align. I paid more than this for just an alignment at my dealership.
2. Clean and adjust throttle body = 83.94 Meh, unless you have a reason to think it needs an adjustment, just clean it yourself
3. Flush and Change Brake Fluid = 156.64 This takes all of about 10 minutes and a $10 bottle of fluid. You'll need a helper to bleed the brakes when you're done.
4. Flush and Change Powersteering Fluid = 112.16 You can do this yourself, dependent on your mechanical ability.
5. Flush and Change Differential Fluid = 349.86 This sounds like they quoted you for a 4wd which would include both differentials and a transfer case. This is very simple and will cost you no more than $50 and 20 minutes of your time.
6. Flush and Change Coolant Fluid = 149.94 Let the dealership deal with this IMO.
7. Oil Leak Clean and keep an eye on Sort of concerning... Depending on where it's leaking, might be worth having them look at it.
8. Replace Leaky Washer Fluid Resovoir = 15.14 I'll bet this is a cheap $2 fitting that's leaking or the hose has cracked. Dealerships don't do much this cheap so it has to be something really, really simple.
To pay the dealership... Total = 947.67

My goal is to do all of these things myself figure out how much it cost as I do each thing myself. Then compare the totals at the end and see how much money I save!

For reference I found this and the threads attached to it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...tml#post612865

I'm gonna document my progress. I'll be more than happy to post it here if you guys would like as I get things done as well as update the costs etc. This is gonna be my project for the summer. Any other bits of advice you guys have before I start are most certainly welcome!

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Glockaholic
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Use the turkey baster method to remove/ replenish PS fluid.

EZ to do.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking even LESS if you do it yourself-$150-200 total