Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

FIXED Flex fan for 3.4 tacoma

Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
figaroni is on a distinguished road
figaroni's Tacoma Gallery
FIXED Flex fan for 3.4 tacoma

Has anyone used a flex fan on their 3.4 tacoma/01-04 tacomas? I'm not talking electric fan I'm talking bolt on flex fan. I've got one on my 66 mustang with no issue, but never used one on a daily driver. Any feed back? I'm reading reviews that elect fans can be a nightmare. Looking for a lighter less load option.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
The fan clutch on the oem fan is designed to reduce load already; it stays loose until the temp rises.
The motor wasn't engineered to have a flex fan, so who knows how it would run. It might work fine...who knows.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Ok I'll just leave it alone. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
It might be worth a try. I sure would like to know if it works or not.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
I have thought about the flex fan. If anyone tries it, Pics Please!!! Good luck
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
well thats just it. I got one for my 66 mustang beacuase didnt want a elec fan. I wanted the car to look period correct or period correct mods. So i got one and pained it flat black an noone knows or pays attention. The cool thing is i live in the hottest part of Az so with it always throwing alot of air it sure helps the old cast iron small black to stay cool. Well that and the addition of a windage tray sure did seem like it gave teh engine some extra pep,well maybe not pep but smoother acceloration...Anyway,so in all honesty, why wouldnt itwork? I live about 45 min drive away from LC Engeering so i might get one form them and see how it goes. Its not that expensive of a mod and if it dont work ill just craigslist it. Some kid with a jerry rigged build will buy it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Cmyifyc87 is on a distinguished road
Army: Blue cord mafia
Cmyifyc87's Tacoma Gallery
i have actually looked into this and sorta in the realization and not really worth the effort the benefits dont come any where close to what the labor would be to install it. as KOCO said it has a clutch fan set up. but locating a spot for the coolant temp sensor is hard i thought about drilling into the water pump near the thermostat but the realized not F***in worth the time for 1-2 horsepower. i am still looking for another way i have pondered for the passed while because i got a deal on some fans and thought about splicing the relay into the temp sensor located into the back of the block but the voltage is different something like 3 volts when the relay is 6 volt, so that was a nogo. then thought about getting one of those temp sensor adaptors for the lower radiator hose but then thought about the relay reading late and having the posability of hurting the block. if you search and find another (easier) way definatley give me shout. P.S almost forgot you would have to set the circuit up through you A/C switch circuit so when you engage the A/C the fans will kick on if not you wont have cold air until A. you drive down the road/highway, or B. your fans kick on from the block getting hot and then the fans pull air through A/C condensor. kind of a hasel but if i find an easier way i will be sure to write a post bout it with pics and directions.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
No you misread what I was looking to do. A FIXED flex fan. Like a real flexalite flex fan. NOT elect fan but a fixed lightweight alumn flex fan the flattens out at speed and retains shape at low rpms to throw air. Flexalite makes an elect fan but I'm not going near those. All the guys in the hot rod club have them and have nothing but problems, I put a fixed flex on my pony and she runs great.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Aluminum flex fans can bend during water crossings...
I think the stock plastic fan blades are tougher.

Nice thing about the electric fan option...
it can be turned off if ever fording deep water.
Thus never bending fan blades.

Yes even the stock clutch fan blades can break
during a water crossing.

An e-fan, properly installed, should be no more problematic
then any other modification.

Thought I read someone used a e-fan from a Taurus
and had better luck with that then with the Flex-a-Lite products
they previously tried.

If it's only a street queen... matters not.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
It is. Only run it on hwy and in the dirt. Just a prerunner, not 4x4. I just get temps of 125-130 in the summer.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaroni View Post
It is. Only run it on hwy and in the dirt. Just a prerunner, not 4x4. I just get temps of 125-130 in the summer.
are you talking about the ambient air ?

shouldn't be of any concern...

just flush yer coolant if it's old...
and keep yer cooling system operating properly.

The clutch fan is up to the task.
and the plastic blades are stronger then those aluminum fan blades.

switching out the original for lesser durability is a bad idea IMO.

You don't really gain any horsepower by bolting on lighter fan blades.
The fan's clutch and drive belt is what robs horsepower.

Going to a full electric fan...
reduces the drag of the fan's belt and clutch, by eliminating them.
You might net 2-3 hp if yer lucky... (hardly enough reason to do it)

You wouldn't likely notice any HP increase from the drivers perspective.