Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about mass air flow

Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Taco Sos is on a distinguished road

Taco Sos's Tacoma Gallery
Question about mass air flow

I just took my trick to the dealership to diagnose my CEL. They called and said it was my mass air flow meter. Is that the same as a mass air flow sensor?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
gobraphil is on a distinguished road
gobraphil's Tacoma Gallery
Yes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with it?
Build up or a busted sensor?

If build up you can get electrical parts cleaner in a spray can to remove the grime.
DO NOT USE Q-Tips or any tools to clean the sensor.
It can break.

If busted you can replace yourself.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
CRC just released a new mass airflow sensor cleaner available at parts stores. It's like $7. I dunno what's in it.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Try cleaning it with spray, then turn the light off. If that doesn't work buy one from Toyota parts barn (or comparable online Toyota part website) and put it in yourself, wicked easy!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Taco Sos is on a distinguished road

Taco Sos's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. Ive cleaned the sensor a few times before with no luck. I was just confused about the dealerships wording. Just an FYI Auto Zone had an identical Toyota/Denso one for $79 and yes it took all of 3 minutes to change. Truck is running awesome now!!! Hoping I start to get better than 14 mpgs now.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer that you had to replace it... you can tell if it is busted.

Look down the tunnel and you will see what will look like a resistor suspended in the air.
If it is not suspended and you see one of two wires broken, well it's busted.
if not, it might have been something else within the connector.

Glad we were able to help.