1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cv Axle slinging grease

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by firetaco74, May 12, 2013.

1. May 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    firetaco74

firetaco74 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Washington, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma, sr5 trd 3.4, 4x4
    3" body lift, 16" Mickey Thompson Bullet Holes, 33" Mastercraft Courser AXT All Terrains, Flomaster Duals, High Flow Cat, Resonator delete
    So today i was gonna wash my truck, clean it up for the coming week. And while i was washing it i notices that i had grease all under my fenderwell and surrounding places. Turns out that i have a busted Cv boot. I know what causes it and i know that i have a certain amount of time before i absolutley have to fix it. i was wondering it it would be worth my while to pay someone to do it or just do it myself. I have a local shop quote of $250 to do the whole job. would it be cheaper/easier to do it myslef or just let them worry about it? any feed back would be greatly appreciated

2. May 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    If you're comfortable popping off your suspension equipment you'll be fine pulling the old and putting in the new. Half day-ish if I had to guess.

3. May 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    You can change it yourself pretty easily. Really it's something that every Taco owner should know how to do. On my manual hub rig, it usually takes 45 mins for me to get it done. But I've got a couple of buddies who can swap out a CV in less that 20 mins while out on a trail. My point is, the more you do it, the faster it gets. Leave yourself a couple hours and give it a try!

4. May 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If you already know how to separate a ball joint without damaging the boot, and have the right size socket to remove the axle nut, go for it.

5. May 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I have access to a full garage. Lift bays, air tools, every tool known to man (thank god for auto hobby shops)

It still takes me a few hours to do it. Im very obsessive and particular, so i quadruple check everything.

6. May 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    Took my about 30 minutes to buy the new one jack up the truck and swap them out

Products Discussed in

To Top