Notices

Cv Axle slinging grease

Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
firetaco74 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Tyler
firetaco74's Tacoma Gallery
Cv Axle slinging grease

So today i was gonna wash my truck, clean it up for the coming week. And while i was washing it i notices that i had grease all under my fenderwell and surrounding places. Turns out that i have a busted Cv boot. I know what causes it and i know that i have a certain amount of time before i absolutley have to fix it. i was wondering it it would be worth my while to pay someone to do it or just do it myself. I have a local shop quote of $250 to do the whole job. would it be cheaper/easier to do it myslef or just let them worry about it? any feed back would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
If you're comfortable popping off your suspension equipment you'll be fine pulling the old and putting in the new. Half day-ish if I had to guess.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
You can change it yourself pretty easily. Really it's something that every Taco owner should know how to do. On my manual hub rig, it usually takes 45 mins for me to get it done. But I've got a couple of buddies who can swap out a CV in less that 20 mins while out on a trail. My point is, the more you do it, the faster it gets. Leave yourself a couple hours and give it a try!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If you already know how to separate a ball joint without damaging the boot, and have the right size socket to remove the axle nut, go for it.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I have access to a full garage. Lift bays, air tools, every tool known to man (thank god for auto hobby shops)

It still takes me a few hours to do it. Im very obsessive and particular, so i quadruple check everything.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Took my about 30 minutes to buy the new one jack up the truck and swap them out