Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Greetings!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
whodatwhodat is on a distinguished road
whodatwhodat's Tacoma Gallery
Greetings!

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking the 2nd Gen forum because I've been thinking of getting a 2nd gen. But I've decided on getting a 1st gen and here I am. I saw the awesome and valuable sticky "1st Gen Buyer's Guide" http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ers-guide.html and will be going through that, making notes, adding pics for references, etc.

I don't know a lot about cars/trucks, but I'm not a complete idiot, kind of But there's this 2002 Tacoma, 180,000+ miles for 12k, and I looked under and saw a lot of rust, not sure if it's just rust spots, or the bad frame rust. The previous owner (not even sure if there's multiple owners) is local, Sioux City Iowa, so I know the salt during winter is not gonna help. But do you guys think this is the bad frame rust that I should stay away from?

Anything else you guys see that I should steer away from this Taco? I almost forgot, I plan on using this as my daily driver, but to also use it to camp, the occasional wheeling (like a few times a year) and to eventually go on longer trips with it (borderline overlanding, but wouldn't call it overlanding), throw my bicycle in the back, haul my dogs around, etc. We have a 2010 4Runner now, but whenever I have to do something dirty, it's a hassle, hence the need/desire for a truck. I have plans for front and rear bumpers, a winch, mild lift with OME, AT tires (leaning towards Duratracs), body armor, and possibly a supercharger

Normally I would do my research first, with that sticky I have a lot to do, I'm afraid this thing would be sold really fast, normally 1st gens at this dealer does! So if you guys think the rust is not bad, I'll continue with my research with the sticky.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of my 2010 4Runner

pics of the taco
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Loggerhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Seán
Loggerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what tacos go for around there but an '02 with 180k+ for 12k seems pretty steep.

She's lookin pretty rust but may still be solid. Get the VIN and have your local dealer look it up to see if it has ever been taken in for a frame inspection, kinda doubt it though since it doesn't look like it's ever been sprayed with the undercoating. See if they'll let you smack around on the frame to see if it sounds solid or not.

What's the overall condition of the rest of the truck? Is it a double cab or TRD? Give the buyer's guide a good read through and it'll set you on the right track.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
First off, welcome to the boards!

So, the rust seems to be spread all over under the truck but, from the pictures, I don't see any scales or bubbles. If I were you, I'd check for any signs that the rust is deeper than the surface. If it is, walk away. If not, and you're willing to take the time, you can coat the rust in a paint made exactly for such an application.

EDIT: Also take a good look at the suspension. It looks a little tired from the angle of the UCA in one of your pics. If your lifting it, no big deal.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW ! since I don't have lifted tacoma, I leave it to the pros...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
from Des Moines, if you could get that thing for under 10 it may be worth it, but that's quite a bit of rust.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
whodatwhodat is on a distinguished road
whodatwhodat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead View Post
Not sure what tacos go for around there but an '02 with 180k+ for 12k seems pretty steep.

She's lookin pretty rust but may still be solid. Get the VIN and have your local dealer look it up to see if it has ever been taken in for a frame inspection, kinda doubt it though since it doesn't look like it's ever been sprayed with the undercoating. See if they'll let you smack around on the frame to see if it sounds solid or not.

What's the overall condition of the rest of the truck? Is it a double cab or TRD? Give the buyer's guide a good read through and it'll set you on the right track.
I forgot to mention it's a TRD Offroad double cab.

12k to me is pretty steep also. I looked at similar Tacos in TX and FL, under 10K, and that's before I'll haggle the price. So if I can't get 9k, or other benefits, then I'll probably let this one go.

Looks like the previous owner did a little mudding, they cleaned most of the mud off, but I saw some missed spots. Overall it looked decent. Had a dent in the rear driver side. Bed was clean and undamaged.

Did not test drive it yet, will tomorrow. Will ask about the VIN and frame inspection, was reading up on that also, but thanks for the info! I will also be bringing a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
First off, welcome to the boards!

So, the rust seems to be spread all over under the truck but, from the pictures, I don't see any scales or bubbles. If I were you, I'd check for any signs that the rust is deeper than the surface. If it is, walk away. If not, and you're willing to take the time, you can coat the rust in a paint made exactly for such an application.

EDIT: Also take a good look at the suspension. It looks a little tired from the angle of the UCA in one of your pics. If your lifting it, no big deal.
On a couple of the pics, I do see some scaling, so that's kind of concerning to me. I am willing to take the time to coat the rust like you mentioned. But of course, not if it's too late with the rust cancer. The suspension I will be lifting it, probably one of the first things I'll do, they already have decent tires on, even if they're 265s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
Welcome to TW ! since I don't have lifted tacoma, I leave it to the pros...
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
from Des Moines, if you could get that thing for under 10 it may be worth it, but that's quite a bit of rust.
Des Moines...some good food joints in that area, at least way better than Sioux City, but if you're looking for good Mexican food, think of it like authentic Mexican fast food, La Juanitas is pretty good here in Sioux City So far the rust and price is holding me back, will get a better idea tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies so far!