LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 cyl 1st gen bad gas mileage

Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyl 1st gen bad gas mileage

Hey guys, there probably is already a thread on this but here it goes anyway.

I seem to get really bad gas mileage with my 1st gen 4cyl 2.7l engine I am running at around 5.1km/l which is around 12mpg. I think I should be running around 20 mpg or 8.1km/l. Anyone else having this problem? anything I can do better, to the truck itself, not my driving, that could help ? I will start driving like an old man to see if it will help anyways. any help would be appreciated!!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires?

Topper?

Empty bed? Tailgate up/down?

When's the last time the spark plugs and spark plug wires were changed? When's the last time the throttle body was thoroughly cleaned? When's the last time the MAF was cleaned? When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? Engine air filter also?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Has it always been like this or did it recently change?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
What size tires?

Topper?

Empty bed? Tailgate up/down?

When's the last time the spark plugs and spark plug wires were changed? When's the last time the throttle body was thoroughly cleaned? When's the last time the MAF was cleaned? When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? Engine air filter also?
265s

no topper
empty bed other than spare tire, tailgate up .
havent changed spark plugs since since I got it, air filter was change last summer, havent changed fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
Has it always been like this or did it recently change?
it seems to be like this since I got it, maybe has been getting a little worse.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
265s

no topper
empty bed other than spare tire, tailgate up .
havent changed spark plugs since since I got it, air filter was change last summer, havent changed fuel filter.

it seems to be like this since I got it, maybe has been getting a little worse.
The spare tire in the bed is definitely messing with your fuel economy but, IMO, not enough for the discrepancy.

I would do the simple, and relatively cheap, things like change the plugs, wires, clean the MAF, take the throttle body off and thoroughly clean it (and while you're at it clean the IACV).... all of those could have negative effects on your fuel economy.

The fuel filter on the 2.7 is a PITA if I recall some of the stories, but it might be worth it too.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Fule filter is a Major PITA its under the intake manifold. but change plugs and clean the MAF with some cleaner (brake parts cleaner, carb cleaner, electrical cleaner, or MAF cleaner) but also you need to check what gears you have, I have a 2.7 5spd with 31s and i only pull 16 mpgs because i have 3.58 gear ratios.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Loggerhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Seán
Loggerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Eroded gap on plugs, old plug wires, dirty MAF, dirty air filter, dirty throttle body butterfly and IAC valve, old and faulty o2 sensors, vacuum leaks or plugged cat can all contribute to poor fuel economy . . .
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting 19-23 miles per American gallon. There is something definitely wrong with yours. Start with a thorough tuneup (plugs, wires, PCV, oil/filter, etc). Also, lube the drive line.

You may want to check the valve lash. Hard to adjust, but you can at least check to see if they need adjustment.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #9

Thanks guys!!