Notices

2000 Tacoma TRD Off Road Brake Upgrade Question

Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Glock1717 is on a distinguished road
Name: Max
Glock1717's Tacoma Gallery
2000 Tacoma TRD Off Road Brake Upgrade Question

Hey Gents,

First post (hope I'm in the right place) - did a quick search for the brake upgrade and didn't see anything. Point me in the right direction if you've seen it.

I've had brake issues in the past: rotors warping, poor performance. I was told by a few that the bakes could be upgraded in the 2000 tacoma TRD. I am wondering about an upgrade kit and could really use advice from anyone that has done anything like this. I hate dealerships, but I'm no mechanic. Takes me a little longer but I enjoy it.

I'm also planning a timing belt replacement and I need a front left ABS sensor.

Any help on the above like where to find info and purchase parts would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Max
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Loggerhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Seán
Loggerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Search for tundra brake upgrade
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Glock1717 is on a distinguished road
Name: Max
Glock1717's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys,

I currently have stock 15" wheels. I remember someone telling me that the Tacoma wheels are expensive to replace, if I am looking for 16" replacements, what exactly should I look for? Any stock Taco wheel? or only TRD? not sure if there's a difference in quality?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock1717 View Post
Thanks guys,

I currently have stock 15" wheels. I remember someone telling me that the Tacoma wheels are expensive to replace, if I am looking for 16" replacements, what exactly should I look for? Any stock Taco wheel? or only TRD? not sure if there's a difference in quality?
Nope, rims are rims.

Whatever rim you want, that will fit the bill. You need new tires to go with it too.

Its fairly expensive to do.

the gains are marginal, and the initial investment sucks. If your tires are already toast, pick up some 16's on the cheap, and do it to it
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock1717 View Post
Thanks guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yep, tundra brake man. 1st gen tundra brakes, calipers and rotors bolt right up.

You need at least 16'' rims.
Wheel spacers are a cheaper option.