Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shifter shaking in 5th gear?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Shifter shaking in 5th gear?

I've read this could be the bushing which would be great, but I just want to confirm. The truck itself does not shake and no other gear shakes the actual shifter until I get into 5th. It only happens when accelerating, when I take my foot off the gas and keep it in 5th the shaking stops and the shifter "stiffens" up.

Would you say this is the bushing or something else?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordBRD View Post
I've read this could be the bushing which would be great, but I just want to confirm. The truck itself does not shake and no other gear shakes the actual shifter until I get into 5th. It only happens when accelerating, when I take my foot off the gas and keep it in 5th the shaking stops and the shifter "stiffens" up.

Would you say this is the bushing or something else?
Mine does exactly that.

If you want me to trigger your OCD... you'll notice that it does it in every gear but it gets more and more noticeable as you are in higher gears.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Mine does exactly that.

If you want me to trigger your OCD... you'll notice that it does it in every gear but it gets more and more noticeable as you are in higher gears.
will....not....ever......check.......haha

I kind of see it in 4th, but hardly at all. 5th it just gets wild.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
will....not....ever......check.......haha

I kind of see it in 4th, but hardly at all. 5th it just gets wild.
I wouldn't say mine is "wild" but more like "standing on the verge of getting it on"

Not enough to do anything about it yet... but eventually it'll gnaw at my craw and I'll get to do the bushing fix.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I wouldn't say mine is "wild" but more like "standing on the verge of getting it on"

Not enough to do anything about it yet... but eventually it'll gnaw at my craw and I'll get to do the bushing fix.
so you reckon it is the bushing and not something really internal?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
so you reckon it is the bushing and not something really internal?
I'm just going by this post:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post4676095

Which explains my symptoms... aka a "wiggle" Nothing wild by any means.

I also have these bookmarked:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...t-lever-socket
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Good reviews on Marlin's shifter seat/ball cup

I bought the Marlin shifter seat and ball cup a ways back...
but haven't had reason to install it yet.

something I thought, I should have...
but didn't really need at the moment.

Figured if I ever do need it...
I'd have it on hand (if I can find it then) Lol

I've read that it makes for a smoother shift as well
think that's why I bought in. (wasn't cuz its low cost) Lol
Figured my stock junk would fail eventually. (still waiting)

All I can say is...
Marlin has the fastest shipping program in the country

you'll get it eventually...
might require mo' communication tho'

Marlin prefers that you call him out here. LOl/jk

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php