Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4 Tune-up Recommendations

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Tyler Andrews is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Tyler Andrews's Tacoma Gallery
3.4 Tune-up Recommendations

Hey guys. I'm looking to do my first "at home" tune-up for my 3.4l ext. cab. It has 167,000 miles on the odometer, so I'm really looking for some suggestions from others who have high mileage on their Yotas. Summer is around the corner too, so a tune-up will be good for the higher temperatures and more driving I am going to be doing. As far as the tune-up is concerned, I'm looking to change the:

-air filter, and do the deckplate mod at the same time
-engine oil/filter
-spark plugs
-coolant?

Kind of new at all this, so open for suggestions on what is best to replace these fluids and parts with, especially being I have high mileage. Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
NGK-Iridium plugs if you have the cash, you will get better burn off and a little extra mileage of of those

coolant : toyota RED pure from the dealer and use 1 gallon then 1 gallon of distilled water
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Do a full synthetic swap, seafoam cleanse, and clean the MAF
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a good list:

Change spark plugs
Change spark Plug wires
Add some BG engine flush to crankcase, then change oil (BG engine flush is at Napa, they dont keep it out front cause its a heavy duty item)
Change front/rear diff, transfer case, and tranny fluid.
Flush out coolant
Clean MAF Sensor
Clean IAC Valve
Clean Butterfly Valve on throttle body
Change EGR valve (its probably gross as hell) (toyota dealership item. Includes new rubber gasket too)
Add some redline SI-1 to your fuel (highest PEA content, 2-3x content of techron)(oriellys has is)
Change your fuel filter (additives will loosen all the garbage floating in your tank. It will probably clog it)
Change your O2 sensors
Check your belts, Change them if need be.
Check your valve cover for leaks. Clean with deagreaser, and re-tighten to 12ft/lbs if theres a bit of oil dribbling out.
Grease your Zerk fittings on your driveshaft
Check your brakes, see how they are wearing.
Flush old brake fluid
If you've never changed your hosing, it might be a good time to poke around and look for cracks. I replaced all of my vacuum hosing, out of sheer paranoia.
check your ball joints, see if they have play. Check tie rod ends also.
Check your CV axle boots. Are they cracked?

Thats my yearly/6mo list of things I take a look at. I plan on making my tacoma a 1/2 Mil mile vehicle, at bare minimum.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Tyler Andrews is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Tyler Andrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Heres a good list:

Change spark plugs
Change spark Plug wires
Add some BG engine flush to crankcase, then change oil (BG engine flush is at Napa, they dont keep it out front cause its a heavy duty item)
Change front/rear diff, transfer case, and tranny fluid.
Flush out coolant
Clean MAF Sensor
Clean IAC Valve
Clean Butterfly Valve on throttle body
Change EGR valve (its probably gross as hell) (toyota dealership item. Includes new rubber gasket too)
Add some redline SI-1 to your fuel (highest PEA content, 2-3x content of techron)(oriellys has is)
Change your fuel filter (additives will loosen all the garbage floating in your tank. It will probably clog it)
Change your O2 sensors
Check your belts, Change them if need be.
Check your valve cover for leaks. Clean with deagreaser, and re-tighten to 12ft/lbs if theres a bit of oil dribbling out.
Grease your Zerk fittings on your driveshaft
Check your brakes, see how they are wearing.
Flush old brake fluid
If you've never changed your hosing, it might be a good time to poke around and look for cracks. I replaced all of my vacuum hosing, out of sheer paranoia.
check your ball joints, see if they have play. Check tie rod ends also.
Check your CV axle boots. Are they cracked?

Thats my yearly/6mo list of things I take a look at. I plan on making my tacoma a 1/2 Mil mile vehicle, at bare minimum.
Quite an extensive list, but definitely needed. Recommendations for brands to get on fluids and parts? How regularly do you change your fuel filter? Isn't that something that doesn't get changed as regularly as say your oil filter?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Andrews View Post
Quite an extensive list, but definitely needed. Recommendations for brands to get on fluids and parts? How regularly do you change your fuel filter? Isn't that something that doesn't get changed as regularly as say your oil filter?
I would change out fuel filter at least every 30,000 miles. That keeps your injectors lasting longer with a fuel filter change
. just my .02

Sitiingbull2
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Andrews View Post
Toyota says the fuel filter is a lifetime part. Never understood how a filter doesn't need replacing.

WIX fuel filters recommend changing them every 12,000 miles. That might be a bit excessive.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced with Wix couple years ago, no problems. I only use toyota red coolant and type 4 tranny fluid. Just a couple drain and fills will do. Switched diffs and transfer case to mobile one as well as engine oil w/Wix filter as well. NGK dual electrode plugs. The link i posted has pretty good info and use the search option here to find how to's like flushing radiator and drain and fill tranny as well as diffs and transfer case.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Toyota part numbers:
Coolant 00272-ILLAC-01 AKA "Coolant Red"
Spark Plugs 90919-01192 (Denso #K16TR11) $2.26
Air filter 17801-07020 $15.95
Oil Filter 90915-YZZD3 $3.89
Front Brake Pads 04465-04050 $63.18
Rear brake shoes 04495-35250 $72.70
Fuel Filter 23300-62010 $27.12
Trans Filter 35330-60030 $40.21

Above OEM prices are through Camelback Toyota listed in the vendor section. Best prices and service I have found contact Jorge.

NGK 4412 Plug wires $27.56 shipped on Ebay

Change all additional fluids: trans ATF fluid, f diff 75w-90, r diff 75W-90, t-case 75w-90 for automatics, brake fluid DOT 3 or 4 and power steering fluid which uses ATF also.

Im switching out to all Amsoil there is a guy on here who sells it for cost in the group buy or forsale section but it seems to be better to buy it directley from them through their prefered buyer program. I'll give you my reference number if you want or you can contact "Nick" in the other section, he helped me out.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #11

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
There is great debate on the so called tranny filter which is actually only a screen that toyota says doest need jacking with. If the pan isn't leaking don't mess with it. Just drain the 5 quarts and replace. Hell my dipstick says it doesn't need maint at all under normal driving conditions. But i did drain and fill and felt difference right off the bat. Shifts alot smoother and better. My motor had 3 denso plugs and 3 NGK plugs so i just went with NGK's. oh and grease the zerks on your drife shaft.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
There is great debate on the so called tranny filter which is actually only a screen that toyota says doest need jacking with. If the pan isn't leaking don't mess with it. Just drain the 5 quarts and replace. Hell my dipstick says it doesn't need maint at all under normal driving conditions. But i did drain and fill and felt difference right off the bat. Shifts alot smoother and better. My motor had 3 denso plugs and 3 NGK plugs so i just went with NGK's. oh and grease the zerks on your drife shaft.
What he said for the trans filter but if you drop the pan you might as well change in my opinion.

X2 on the drive shaft. Search "greased my drive shaft" for more info.
X9,437 on the MAS and TB clean