Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Single or Dual Exhaust?

View Poll Results: Single or Dual Exhaust?
Single 337 58.92%
Dual 235 41.08%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
projecttaco is on a distinguished road
projecttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Single or Dual Exhaust?

After learning that no one with the 3.4L had the aero turbine muffler, I decided to stay away from it as well. Ive decided to go with a flowmaster super 40 series and after getting a price quote from the muffler shop, it would be around $130 installed with muffler replaced and a chrome tip. Turns out that if I wanted to run duals, it would be about $350 installed so Im trying to decide which way I want to go with it. I know its a personal choice but any advice would be great. Are duals really deeper than singles or just louder? From the vids, it just seems they are louder but cant really go by cameras all the time. Loudness doesnt bother me at all after riding around straight piped on the last vehicle but on this one, Im trying to get the deepest and best sound I can out of it. Ive seen pictures but in real life, I dont think Ive ever saw a tacoma with dual exhaust but after a search on here as well as youtube vids, I see that they exist. Also I dont think exhaust will even make a noticeable difference by itself but which is better out of the two performance wise? Im still undecided but based on answers, Im going to have something done next week. I absolutely love the truck but I want to actually hear something when I hit the pedal
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, sorry no one has replied back to yah on this thread. I own a 2nd generation Tacoma with a Flowmaster 50 dual exhaust. Love it!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
i think dual exhausts are obnoxious.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
but the firefighters truck is prob the nicest looking tacoma ive seen
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
projecttaco is on a distinguished road
projecttaco's Tacoma Gallery
From what little bit I can see, Im with you dunkhi when it comes to the firefighters truck, that looks really nice! and thanks for all of the replies so far. Im assuming flowmaster doesnt make a catback for this body style though. I googled it and all I saw are ones that fit the newer tacos Keep em coming, Id just like to hear some more opinions before I jump the gun and wish I would have taken another route.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhi View Post
but the firefighters truck is prob the nicest looking tacoma ive seen
Haha!! Mine is the nicest? Look at yours bro!!! Your tacoma looks sick as heck!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks man
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
I like dual. But that's just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Single or Dual Exhaust?-exhaust.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and Firefighter, I really like the black emblems. That's pretty bad.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
Oh, and Firefighter, I really like the black emblems. That's pretty bad.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I had my camera with me but I saw an 80's Toyota truck with dual stack exhaust this morning. I laughed so hard.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #14
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery

I had these one-side-swept duallies custom welded. It has a throaty baritone sound. If I can figure how to upload video I'll take some and put it here.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #15
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Single, it's not a 68 Camaro were talkin bout!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
i just got the flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust installed and it sounds really good! its pretty loud...ill post pics asap..but i had to take my spare tire out
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #17
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
maybe some just like the looks of it
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
Is it truly dual exhaust? I mean are yall running headers or does the pipe split after the cats? Maybe Im being an ass but I dont consider a cat back system dual exhaust. I do like the look of dual tips in the rear on the same side. That is a nice set up.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter379 View Post
Is it truly dual exhaust? I mean are yall running headers or does the pipe split after the cats? Maybe Im being an ass but I dont consider a cat back system dual exhaust. I do like the look of dual tips in the rear on the same side. That is a nice set up.
Thanks and I agree, it isnt true duals-but it freed up just the right amount of flow in my system to actually benefit power. You can actually LOSE power by opening up the exhaust too much on these engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdopy3 View Post
I voted for dual, but only if you take it out one side (The same)
I'm with you here-the pipes out each side means you have one longer pipe than the other. You not only see it from behind but one side flows more than the other
Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtaco View Post
Single, it's not a 68 Camaro were talkin bout!
X2