Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SuperCharger Questions and Problems

Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch. I paid $40.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
Yeah it sucked. Especially when I expected less than $40.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by headbasha View Post
I've relayed the info, I really hope it is the vacuum issue. If it is the supercharger then who rebuilds them? What kind of turn around time is a rebuild? Is there anything else that can be done to the sc besides rebuilding it?

If it is a vacuum issue. What kind of maintenance should be done to the sc. I've read a few different things about it should be maintenance free for 100k miles and other people say service nose cone at 60k.

I wanted to upgrade the trd 7th injector to the URD and add the 2.2 pulley but now the whole damn system has me concerned. If the supercharger did go bad and needs rebuild what did it do to the rest of the engine.
You can try a rebuild yourself. But I second the vacuum leak. Could explain pretty much everything.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...r-rebuild.html
Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
headbasha is on a distinguished road
headbasha's Tacoma Gallery
Update time.

Cats are delete, so no more restriction. Boost gauge is bad. Swapped it out and it reading 7-8 max boost. It's just dog slow. I've been driving around a 2005 prerunner with the 4.0l and I guess I've been use to it. It will just smoke the tires taking off. My 03 with the supercharger and TRD 7th injector is barley spinning the tires and just has no get up and go like I expected. Are they just naturally slow like this? Is it just not tuned right? I am not running 93 octane ATM. Tank is still on 87. But I wouldn't think it would matter. Maybe I'm just use to this 2005 and my other car is a 2013 ford edge sport with 310 hp.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My truck runs like a raped ape.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
At wot from 1st to 2nd it feel like the trans is going to fall out. It's shifting hard. It's an automatic.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
The Mad Scientist

Can't comment on the automatic transmission...except I think they suck.
Mine's a manual.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiosity have you checked to see if the check engine light wasn't removed?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
The cel is there. When you start the truck it will light up.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
The Mad Scientist

I'd be more worried about detonation given that you're running 87 octane.
The 7th is great for eliminating high gear low rpm lean out, but it's not a miracle worker. The owner still has to do his part. There's a big fat ass disclaimer to run premium fuel only for a reason.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
At wot from 1st to 2nd it feel like the trans is going to fall out. It's shifting hard. It's an automatic.
You need to revalve the valve body on the auto when you add a SC or it will fail pre-maturely.
Quote:
The cel is there. When you start the truck it will light up.
Thats probably not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
I'd be more worried about detonation given that you're running 87 octane.
The 7th is great for eliminating high gear low rpm lean out, but it's not a miracle worker. The owner still has to do his part. There's a big fat ass disclaimer to run premium fuel only for a reason.
This. Get some 93. Also TRD 7th injector kind of sucked. URD is way better.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
There is no cel. I'm saying the light works is all when you start the truck you can see it. Just like every other light.

So use 93 octane only?

Also the trans has a cooler on it.

How can you tell if the 7th injector is working?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Wait for it...

Quote:
There is no cel. I'm saying the light works is all when you start the truck you can see it. Just like every other light.

So use 93 octane only?

Also the trans has a cooler on it.

How can you tell if the 7th injector is working?
Yes.

Its not about the cooler. Something on how it shifts. Take it to a good shop and tell them you need to rework the valve body for the SC.

Not sure. Its not a good kit though. If you have some extra cash, URD is the way to go.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #34
I got the TRD Boost gauge working. It has a hole in the line right where it goes into the SC. Ive got the 93 octane fuel in there and it seems to be breathing new life into it. I guess i need to get a O2 simulator sensor from URD because my CEL came on since i have no cats.

I googled tacoma valvebody and it has me on a thread reading about ITP valve body upgrade. Has anyone done this upgrade recently? Those posts were from 2005-2007. I was wondering if they still do the work.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Wait for it...

Quote:
I got the TRD Boost gauge working. It has a hole in the line right where it goes into the SC. Ive got the 93 octane fuel in there and it seems to be breathing new life into it. I guess i need to get a O2 simulator sensor from URD because my CEL came on since i have no cats.

I googled tacoma valvebody and it has me on a thread reading about ITP valve body upgrade. Has anyone done this upgrade recently? Those posts were from 2005-2007. I was wondering if they still do the work.
Yes, this is what you need to do.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19804
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have the 7th injector, but I was also disappointed when I drove my SC truck first. The stupid auto lot put 87 in it. Not only did it feel sluggish, but it felt like a 4 banger. The 91 fuel was the kicker. It is still a heavy truck so it's by far fast. With the automatic transmission you can't wind up the engine before take off so it still feels sluggish from a dead stop. I have found that manually shifting helps with speed. Still you have to roll and build up boost to about 2700rpm before you feel the SC. So what I do is stick in 1st, engine break, then take off and run it all the way up to red and shift to 2nd. 1st goes to about 35mph, 2nd I don't know (haven't ran it up all the way before shifting due to speed limit. I run about a 8 sec 0-60 I think, or close to it. With the 7th injector I don't know if I could do much better and I think a smaller pulley would be the next step. Most cars now days are running 6 sec 0-60 times now so we still get beat up by stock 30mpg cars. But for something that weighs this much with almost 10 year old technology you really can't ask for more. I mean now the v6 engines are making 300 hp stock, example camaro and mustang.

Usually when I fill up I just focus on the fact that my truck as a DC can haul people, haul some stuff, 4wheel, is relatively quick, and I can still park in a compact parking space. The only thing I'm lacking is MPG which would have been solved if they would have just let us Americans have the diesel.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #37
I talked to my tranny shop that rebuilt my allison trans in the 01 excursion today. He said he can drive the truck with me and see if it needs more than just a valve body job. So ill get that lined up this weekend.

My mechanic also has alot of experience tuning on drag race cars and his brother actualy owns a tuning shop and build them from ground up. So i was talking to him and just getting info on does he think this thing is tuned in correctly. So he said IDK, put it on a machine and have at it.

So he hooked up one of his diagnostic tools and did a custom loadout so i could see throttle position, short term and long turn fuel banks. I made a few hits on it from about 1-80 and then 50-80 and so on. It seems that whatever my defualt AFR is, its trying its hardest to keep it there. Does anyone know if the TRD 7th injector kit changes it from the ~14 that its suppose to be? I was reading on project sport runner that he tuned his to be ~11 accross the board. I was wondering the hp gains you get from the difference of 14 to 11.

I was also wanting to do some custom tuning but i would need the UDR 7th injector kit instead of this TRD. So is the upgraded $700 kit, plus the 2.2 pulley worth the extra HP? Especially if i can get it tuned in right?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #38
The Mad Scientist

That's the shitty part about the TRD 7th....no fuel management. The factory ECU does everything electronically possible to keep the fucking thing in closed loop.

Get the URD and never look back. You can play the fuel injector and timing as much as you want and get the AFR to your liking.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #39
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I don't have a lot of additional input from what was already said... but I will say... a slightly modified N/A 4.0L Tacoma will easily keep paces with a supercharged 3.4. So, just for reference as you mentioned you had an 05+ before and felt like it was faster.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #40
Wait for it...

Quote:

I was also wanting to do some custom tuning but i would need the UDR 7th injector kit instead of this TRD. So is the upgraded $700 kit, plus the 2.2 pulley worth the extra HP? Especially if i can get it tuned in right?
With the pulley, URD 7th inj, and a nice tune, you can see up to 300HP. Headers/exhaust can give a bit more.

This is a good read from start to finish (start from bottom to top):
http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportrunner/

Quote:
1. Install TRD's 7th injector kit
PROS:
- adds ~30RWHP to the Supercharged 3.4L motor
- maintains any factory warranties that might remain on the vehicle
CONS:
- not user programmable
- can run rich at lower RPMs and lean at higher RPMs
- very expensive
- does not include any fuel pump, spark plugs, or thermostat upgrades

2. Install
URD's Fuel Upgrade Kit
PROS:
- this is a complete kit and includes an upgraded fuel pump, cooler spark plugs, injectors, cooler thermostat, and piggyback ECU
- user programmable options for timing and fueling
- less expensive and a better value for the money than TRD's 7th injector kit
- allows for installation of a smaller Supercharger pulley for more horse power
CONS:
- will affect any remaining factory warranty
- tuning can be time consuming

3. Install URD's 7th Injector Kit
PROS:
- this is a complete kit and includes an upgraded fuel pump, cooler spark plugs, 7th injector, fuel line with t-fitting preassembled, cooler thermostat, and piggyback ECU
- user programmable for timing and fueling
- less expensive than TRD's 7th injector or URD's Fuel Upgrade Kit
- easier to program than URD's Fuel Upgrade Kit
- easier to install than URD's Fuel Upgrade Kit
- provides some intercooling effect
CONS:
- I can't find any
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I don't have a lot of additional input from what was already said... but I will say... a slightly modified N/A 4.0L Tacoma will easily keep paces with a supercharged 3.4. So, just for reference as you mentioned you had an 05+ before and felt like it was faster.
I doubt it.